Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My hard disk fails to load or something

• Please log in to reply

Langley

Langley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

This happened a couple of days ago while i was playing an online game, it started to lag up and then adventually it frooze. I thought it might be the net connection or something like that, so i pressed the windows button to try exit the game but it wouldn't do so, then i tried to bring up the task manager and also do the alt-f4 thing. I couldn't exit it so i thought it must of completey halted, so i turned off the computer manually and switched it back on. Now this is where it got weird, when the windows xp loading sign came up and i waited. Then it asks me to boot up in either windows safe mode, safe mode network, safe mode prompt, the last known configuration that worked or start it normally. I choose the last known confiuration that worked, because that to me seemed right. Then when i did that it just restarted. And did the same thing over many times so i cant actually get into the windows to do anything at all. Then i found out that it flicks up the sentance Primary Slave hard disk failed, and it also says something like that the Pri. Master HDD something is disabled. Does that mean that my hard disk is broken? Or can it be fixed?

-_- i dont know much about the internals of a computer or much about computers at all, but any help would be lovely,

Cheers

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

From what you describe it sounds like you have 2 hard drives (HDD)in the system.
The primary master hdd is the one that has your operating system (OS) on it.
The primary slave is for extra storage and has failed causing the problem.

The primary master could still be ok and you may be able to boot to the OS if you remove the slave but anything stored on the slave will be gone.

I would remove the slave and see if you can boot into safe mode to check things out and if you can then boot normal.

Rick

Langley

Langley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh ok, yeah your right there is two and i recently cleared out the slave for extra storage. I'll try that out.

Cheers