Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner not working

• Please log in to reply

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I can't install it because i have a service pack. Apparently it's already addressed in the Service pack.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is your computer a Dell by any chance? I only ask because I can't find the model number of your drive anywhere on Sony's website but it does appear on Dells website.

In any case, I have found a diagnostic utility for your particular drive on Dells website. You may want to download it & run to see if it tells you anything useful :

http://support.dell....1&fileid=105695

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It is a dell, I ran the utility. It is supposed to test some things, but the program only says, "This drive does not have that feature" and no pass or fail boxes are checked on the utility.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, thats odd. Which model of Dell do you have? Series name & model number if possible (eg dimension 3800)

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Dell Dimension 8300

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, have a look at this article from Dells website re. diagnostics & CDRW tests etc :

http://support.dell....53AB3FD0A7620CD

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I read it. I wasn't quite sure what "configure the system to boot to the CD drive, and then boot to the Dimension ResourceCD." Meant, but i tried anyways. I restarted the computer, got to the boot menu, and ran the IDE diagnostics that was on the disk. It was testing the primary IDE, but then seemed to stop, i ejected the disk to see what might happen, the tests stopped, it now showed that the secondary IDE was untestable, that it could not run diagnostics, even though it recognized the type of disk burner that i have.

I treid it again, and the same thing happened. Throughout the primary IDE, the disk is spinning, but when it stopped i thought something was wrong. I ejected the disk, same results. It seems to stop after primary IDE and not move into secondary IDE.

Am i even booting the disk right? i tried the other thing on the menu relating to IDE, it was to boot to the IDE, my computer just started up normally.

I know my disc is 3.11 or later, but I'm not sure if im past 4.0 or not, i tried that one since it was first. I will also try to second one.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
'Configure the system to boot from CD drive' just means change the boot priority order in the system setup to boot from CD before the IDE drive. As it sounds like your system is doing this anyway, you don't need to worry about it.

You said the diagnostics tests the primary IDE drive & then stops, at which point you eject the CD. Does the diagnostic actually finish testing the Primary IDE before it stops?

Also, when you said that the disk was spinning throughout the primary ide test, I assume you mean the CD, right? Have you tried just waiting for a while instead of ejecting the CD?
The reason being, is that theres a good chance that the diagnostic tests require a CD to be inserted in order for the test to be run. Whether it is looking for the ResourceCD or a blank CDR etc, I don't know, but the absence of any CD at all may explain why the secondary IDE tests can't be run.

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, it doesn't finish the primary before it stops.

Yes, i did mean the disk.

I will try it again, this time I won't eject the CD, I'll let you know how that works.

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yeah, i tried it again, and nothing happened. I did the same things, but this time i never took the disk out. It still said diagnostics not supported.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Did it actually complete the diagnostic on the primary IDE drive this time? And if so, did it pass?

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes and yes.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, can you download SIW from here please..

http://www3.sympatic...w_download.html

Run it, then expand the Hardware branch->storage devices
Select the CDRW drive in the top pane so you can see the drive details in the lower pane. It will tell you what the drives 'Location' is (e.g secondary master). Can you find out & let me know please.

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Secondary control, Master Drive

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
A tad off topic: but my burner (when I burn through windows explorer, drag and drop,) sometimes gives me an error that the burning failed, the disk is ruined, etc. and when I check the disk the files are there- usually, and the disk not ruined-again, usually.
Any idea?