Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet on 1 PC stopped working...

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok, I've had my wireless network up for a little while now, all I can do with it is give internet to the 2 PCs.

I have one main PC, which is my parents PC. This one is connected via Cat5 to slot 1 of the router. The internet stopped working on this PC today.

I also have 1 laptop, which connects wirelessly to the router. It works fine...

I've restarted the main PC, I've unplugged it from the network and checked the connections. The lights on the router indicate that it is in fact working...

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on both computers do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all and post the results...lable the laptop as LAPTOP and the desktop as DESKTOP

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Well, I actually found the problem. I had originally thought that the problem was on the PC whose internet died.

So, while waiting for a reply here, I tried everything, and eventually caused the internet on my laptop to die. In a panic, I phone Shaw (my ISP) and there's an automated message saying "All IP's starting with *blahblah* are currently down. Your modem will still show proper connections, however any attempt to connect to the internet will fail." I check my IP, and sure enough, I fall in that group...

So, it was their problem. This morning it was still down, I can only hope it's back up when I get home.

Thanks for your time though. It really didn't look like an ISP problem at the time. There is absolutely no explination as to why my laptop was still running though... could have been because it was connected at the time of the outage. Who knows...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just for my own...let's call it gratification and just to make sure that it's shaw's problem...could you still post the ipconfig results?

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok, sorry about the delay, AGAIN.

Since I posted that previous message I have had no access to the internet. I was at school when I posted. It was my computer, and what I had to do was re-install the TCP/IP connection. I phoned shaw (as I had no access to the net to post and ask you) and they walked me through that.

The results of my ipconfig at the time came up with the 169.something, which they explained to me was the default windows address when it can't connect out to the net.

So, my internet is working, ipconfig brings up my home IP Address, not that windows stuff...

It is weird that the error happened at the time it did though, because my IP address was definately one of the ones affected in the network outage last night.

If there is anything else you wish to know about this weird problem, well, I'll actually be able to respond this time :tazz:

thanks for your concern for my problem :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you've got full access again..then no..i'm not worried...i just wanted to make sure that you were getting proper ip addresses