Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SYSTEM Boot Failure, Press CTRL + ALT + DEL

• Please log in to reply

Tar

Tar

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
This is the third time this has happened within one year!!!!! Im the only one using my (other) computer.
I was editing my pictures when it decided to Freeze--- it went to the wallpaper without any Icons. I left alone for like an hour, and then it went to a "System boot failure Press CTRL + ALT + DEL" screen. I pressed it and now there is a blinking cursor.
Is there anything I Can do about this?
My Main Drive is partioned if that means anything.

Previously my tech had formatted the WHOLE computer and i had to start from scratch. :tazz:

:) :) :woot:

Advertisements

pepsi man

pepsi man

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Something could be wrong with the hard drive or you may have a buggy copy of xp.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where there any other numbers or anything accompanying the error message?

restart the computer and continually press f8....do you get to a screen with a bunch of options like "start in safe mode, start in safe mode with command prompt...etc"?

Tar

Tar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That time, I waited a day and it was back to normal. :tazz:

No numbers, after numerous times of pressing ctrl+alt+del it had an icon with the disk to start it with. The hard drive is a Maxtor 250GB 2 years old. The operating system is all original.

Now it just says "Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you really need to run a chkdsk on this

start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk /r
enter

say yes to schedule on next reboot

Reboot. Take a walk, it will take a while

When complete,

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

look under APPLICATION, for WINLOGON

double click

copy the information here

Tar

Tar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I Did the system check on Friday and then I Could not turn it on again.
:tazz:( Now, there is a blinking cursor followed by Error Loading operating System.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tar...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Tar

Tar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, So I had this All fixed in March and Today I got a message like"Disk Boot Failure" Again. I turned it off and then turned it back on. It was okay, but I know that it will eventually dump on me within the next few days. IS there anyway that I can avoid having to format it again?