Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dropped Internet

• Please log in to reply

scorpiogal

scorpiogal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer keeps dropping my internet connection off and on when I'm using email or the internet. My internet provider says it is a software issue and not my cable modem. Usually when I restart my computer, it begins to work. Is there anything I can check for to see what may be causing this? Thanks for all the help

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi scorpiogal! Welcome to G2G!

Please download WinsockXPFix. Save it to a location you will remember. Once it's downloaded, close all open windows, including browser windows. Then locate the file you downloaded and double-click it to run it. In the new window that appears, click the FIX button and once it's done it will ask you that you need to reboot, just click OK and your computer will reboot itself.

Once the computer is rebooted, use the computer for awhile and see if the Internet continues being dropped.

If it does continue being dropped, then I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Does a cycling your cable modem fix this? (power off, power on)

When this occurs, what are the lights on your cable modem doing? What is the brand of your cable modem?

How long have you had cable (tv or internet). WHen they installed cable internet, did they add a new line from the street or was the cable there for a long time?

Older homes that have cables from years ago often have problems with signal strength which can be fixed with a new cable (less attenuation with newer cables).

If your cable company checked your modem while your system was up, this will not show, they need to try to connect to the modem while your connection is down.

scorpiogal

scorpiogal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The cable company was unable to see that my server was down as they were showing it still running strong. I then tried to repair my IP address and received an error that it was unable to do that. It does not connect when I unplug it and plug it back in. It only works when I restart my computer. I will try the winsockxpfix.exe and see if that works and let you know...Thanks