Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Yet another Never-Ending Boot up. Yet all original problem....

• Please log in to reply

professorchaos211

professorchaos211

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So I see a lot of ppl here have this problem, but unfortunately none of their solutions apply to me.

Here's my story: At my university, you have to have a couple security things installed, like Windows Service Pack 2. When I tried installing this, it told me that my system was in an unstable state, and that I should uninstall SP2 and reinstall it. I uninstalled SP2 and my computer went kinda crazy. Big icons, some things wouldnt work, stuff like that. Then it did one of those automatic windows update things, and I thought that would fix things. When it fiished, it told me to restart my computer, which I did. This is where the neverending cycle begins. The computer starts up normally, displaying the HP logo. Then it brings up a screen telling me that an error occured, my computer wasnt shut down properly, etc, and gives me the option to choose Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Safe Mode with Networking, the normal startup, or starup with my last working configuration. The Problem? NONE of these work. It doesnt matter which one I choose, the same thing always happens: It goes on to the Windows XP logo, with the little scrolling blue bar in the bottom, and then then the computer shuts off for a millisecond, starting up with the bootup from the beginning. It just goes on and on in this cycle.

There is no way for me to access the actual desktop. The ONLY thing I can do is press the F keys, to do things like a full system recovery, which I dont want to do, cause I REALLY dont want to lose all my files. Is there ANY thing you guys think you can help me with? I know theres already a couple similar topics to this, but they're all slightly different than mine, and none of their solutions have worked for me. I would be immensely grateful if anyone could offer up some suggestions. Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have an XP CD, a recovery CD or a recovery partition

professorchaos211

professorchaos211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't have a Windows XP CD. My OS is Windows XP, Media Center Edition, which came pre-installed on my computer. It didn't come with the OS on an actual disc. As for the recovery CD's, I didn't make them, which obviously was a big mistake. I think I can get them from HP (well, I HOPE, cause I'm already out of warranty), but that will take some time. As for the recovery partition thing, I dont know what that is, lol. There's a way for me to restore my computer to the factory settings using just the computer (I think you tap F8 or F10 on the keyboard during initial startup, and do it from there), but then that makes me wonder, why would I need the CD's? Why would they even make them if they're not necessary? Something doesn't fit right. Plus, a friend of mine did the recovery thing using his computer, and it completely fried his hard drive, wouldnt work at all. Had to have it replaced (he was still under warranty). So I dunno what to do :) . Computers are pretty [bleep] stressful! I wish I were rich, so I could burn this one to ashes and just pick up a new one :)

............... :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A quick way to tell is if you click start then my computer and you have local disk C and then D which will be smaller, then any optical drives will start at E

professorchaos211

professorchaos211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, as I said, I can't get into my desktop. It's on a never-ending bootup loop. I cant get past the Windows XP screen, no matter what I do. First its the HP brand screen, then the "your computer wasnt shut down properly" screen, then the Windows XP screen and then back it shuts off for a milisecond and it restarts again from the beginning. Over and over again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry, it's my age :tazz:

You probably need to track down recovery CD's or ask HP if it has a recovery partition and if so, what it is capable of, e.g some will load the OS and drivers with some programmes, others will only load the OS

professorchaos211

professorchaos211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you think it would be a problem is I did the systme recovery without the CD's, that is, by pressing F8 (or F10, I forget), during startup and doing it from there?

Also, I assume with the suggestions you gave me, I would lose all the stuff on my Hard Drive right :tazz: :*(

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is unlikely windows will not find a missing file and then it will want a source to restore from

HP may say you use an ordinary XP CD for this

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
intermittent shutdowns normally occur due to dislocation of the Microprocessor on the motherboard... if u r fed up of those shutdowns i believe that u better try checking the Hardware of ur computer first rather than coming to a conclusion on the Operating System!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The system recovery key with the f8, f10, f12 key (whatever) will likely provide you two options--complete system recovery to factory condition which wipes out all your files, or an option to preserve data (non-destructive), all recently made HP systems I have come across offer the non-destructive type.

This makes Windows work, leaves your data files along, but will sometimes killother programs, though if the program was made correctly, you can reinstall and the data remains.

The non destructive restore achieves this by replacing your system directory c:\windows, and a few files in the boot directory. You word docs, music, videos, data, email will likely be ok, as long as you did not alter/create additional profiles..even then, that data should still be there, but you may need to work to get to it

And Solipsist, that is not true. A microprocessor rarely comes lose and causes this.

Intermittent shutdowns are often related to heat or bad power supplies, but not "loose" CPUs. This is not a case of an intermittent shutdown, anyway