Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow computer

• Please log in to reply

Loch

Loch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

My Toshiba Portege R100 (win XP pro SP2) takes about 10 minutes for starting up! Afterthat all programs run very slow and the hard disk runs all the time. I guess that this is due to the number of programs that I installed. If this is the reason, does anyone have any ideas on how to safely clean up the system? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You very much.

Loch

My Hijackthis log is attached

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Loch! Welcome to G2G!

Lets take a look at what is starting up when your computer does. Please download HiJackThis (from the link in my signature) Install it, and double-click on the HiJackThis.exe icon. On the first screen click on Open the Misc Tools Section...on the next screen, click on the Generate StartupList log button and post a copy of the log here. You need not check either of the boxes next to this button.

Fenor

Loch

Loch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Fenor, thanks for your fast reply!

My startup list is attached.

Attached Files

Edited by Loch, 25 January 2006 - 10:29 AM.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi Loch,

If i may suggest, you could decide what to uncheck from your startup list ( you do have too many items in it) by referring the startup guide in this forum-
http://startuplist.geekstogo.com/
or this list
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html.
If there are items not in this list, google for the same> You cud wait for Fenor's personal opinion as well.

Afterthat all programs run very slow and the hard disk runs all the time.

Another reason for this can be a cluttered HDD, how long since you cleaned up and defragmented? You cud run the disk cleanup, then chkdsk and defrag, to speed up things.. and be regular with this.
http://www.microsoft...ted/speed.mspx/

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
try this out too since ur using XP...
[*]go to Start>Run>type regedit
[*]a window called "registry editor" will appear
[*]click on MY COMPUTER to highlight it {no need to do it if it's already highlighted, he he he he...}
[*] now press CTRL + F together
[*]a find window would appear
[*]now type in "waittokill"
[*]after a little while u'll see the selected object, then hit enter
[*]change the value from 20000 to 200
[*]don't worry.... nothing will go wrong on ur computer... :tazz:

by doing this ur computer would tend to boot a little faster....