Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 DVD burner+1 DVD reader

• Please log in to reply

scarletb79

scarletb79

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello and thank you in advance for all your support. Here's my problem:
my computer is about one year old, I have a Pioneer DVD burner (DVR-108) that came with the computer and a Samsung CD-DVD reader (TS-H352, it should read any format) added after a couple of months :tazz: .
When I had only the DVD burner everything seemed to work properly (I'm not sure since after a week I had purchased the system I had to bring it back because it crashed once in a while- and they kept it for so long -2 months, it's a shame!) but I guess the problem started after the Samsung reader was added. The technician of the shop (who's a dear friend of mine but, to tell the truth he's not too efficient) said that maybe something that I can't remember should be uploaded and probably the computer should be formatted.
If I brought to him my computer again and he kept it for a long time (I know it would happen) I would really get upset 'cause it's not the first time and neither the second. Since I would like to avoid this and I would like my computer working well I'm asking you to kindly help me with this issue. My operating system is Windows XP Pro SP2; Asus motherboard, processor Intel Pentium 4 3.0GB, 1GB RAM, Maxtor Hard Disk. If you need further informations I have Aida32.

THANK YOU, REALLY!!!

Scarlet

Edited by scarletb79, 27 January 2006 - 08:37 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Scarlet

When you say that neither of the drives can read, do you mean they can't read any type of media (ie DVDs or CDs) or is it just DVDs they can't read?

If you use the DVD burner to create a DVD, can the burner read it after you've burnt it, ejected it & reinserted it into the burner?

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi!

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions I've sort of tested the dvd reader and the dvd burner:

Q: When you say that neither of the drives can read, do you mean they can't read any type of media (ie DVDs or CDs) or is it just DVDs they can't read?

A: the burner reads the majority of cds and dvds in general, but not all of them. The reader has problems with some cds (writing "G: the media could be corrupted or unreadable" <-- this sentence may not correspond because it's translated) and the 90% of dvds. For the test I've used cds and dvds burned by me, containing files, ie pictures, mp3s, videos, DivX (in the specific case of DivX my cds contain 1 and my dvds usually contain 6 of them) and so on.

Then I tried to insert a dvd-movie -purchased in a shop- in the unit G (player) and it worked perfectly.

Q: If you use the DVD burner to create a DVD, can the burner read it after you've burnt it, ejected it & reinserted it into the burner?

A: uhm, usually yes (80%) but not always, for example I burnt a dvd with 6 .avi files and every time I put it in the computer a blue screen appears making a countdown, so it happened 5 minutes ago and I had to reboot.

Sometimes, but only a few times, when I need to reboot and the computer does it with the media still inside the computer, then I can play that media succesfully.

My medias are usually monosession now: I couldn't really tell about all of them because at the beginning I even didn't know what multi/monosession would mean.
By the way the cds and dvds containing .avi files work well on my dining room's dvd/DivX player (Amstrad) and not always on the other (Samsung combo, dvd/DivX+vcr); maybe this happens because the Samsung is DivX originally branded and I think it only reads DivX while the Amstrad reads DivX but it doesn't have the original DivX logo so it can also read the XviD files.

Another thing that can be useful is that when I burn a media (using Nero) I usually do a virus check, a simulation and I verify at the end. Most of the times the simulation is fine but when I go verifying it founds errors, at least that's what the program says.

I hope I've been useful. Thanks again for your help.

Scarlet

Edited by scarletb79, 27 January 2006 - 08:13 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Scarlet

There's a few things I can think of that may be causing the problem. I need some more information from you though....

1) Re. the DVDs (not the CDs) that the reader can't read, can you tell me if :
a) the burner will read these discs
b) What format were they created in? i.e Data disc, DVD, VCD etc
c) What speed did you burn them at?
b) Did you finalise the discs as well as the sessons?
e) What version of Nero (or any other software) did you create them with?
f) Were the blank discs recordable or rewritable (i.e DVD-/+R or DVD-/+RW)
g) I assume you were burning files that were on the hard disk. Did you test them before burning to make sure they played ok from the hard drive?
h) When you said that the reader can't read the majority of burnt DVDs, do you just mean that the videos wont play or that you can't open them in My Computer either?

2) Have you tried using different media? i.e different brands or different types.

3) Have yu tried burning with software other than Nero? If so, were the results any better?

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello Samm,

thanks so much in advance.

1) Re. the DVDs (not the CDs) that the reader can't read, can you tell me if :
a) the burner will read these discs

Yes, the burner can read them (95%).

b) What format were they created in? i.e Data disc, DVD, VCD etc

Almost all of them were created in data disc mode, I've also tried to check if the burner could read a dvd burnt in dvd-video format (opening "Nero startsmart" and choosing the "write dvd-video file" icon and not the "create your own dvd-video" one). The files in the video_ts folder were obtained converting a DivX to the dvd format using Winavi. Anyway this dvd works perfectly in the burner.

c) What speed did you burn them at?

Automatic speed. 1 minute ago I opened the Nero window to pretend to burn a dvd then I closed the window just before inserting the empty dvd and it was written 12x. I'll check this.

b) Did you finalise the discs as well as the sessons?

For the majority of them I chose no-multisession but I couldn't see the "finalise" option. Well, I can't see it even in multisession mode.
I remember I tried to finalise a dvd weeks ago because it was not working but Nero said that it was alrealy finalised.

e) What version of Nero (or any other software) did you create them with?

A suite containing Nero 6 and other Nero programs. I almost always use Nero Burning Rom (6) instead of Nero Express.

f) Were the blank discs recordable or rewritable (i.e DVD-/+R or DVD-/+RW)

They were recordable (DVD-R). If you want I can try the rewritables 'cause I have a couple of them.

g) I assume you were burning files that were on the hard disk. Did you test them before burning to make sure they played ok from the hard drive?

Yes, they were on my hard disk, I always test them and the files work perfectly.

h) When you said that the reader can't read the majority of burnt DVDs, do you just mean that the videos wont play or that you can't open them in My Computer either?

I either can't open them, I cannot access the G: My computer folder and sometimes the computer crashes, that is the mouse arrow gets stuck -can't move- and I have to reboot.

2) Have you tried using different media? i.e different brands or different types.

Yes, I have but not a lot of different brands because since this problem started to occurr I haven't burnt so many cds/dvds. I'm using "Verbatim Advanced AZO DVD-R 8x certified" and "Verbatim Super AZO CD-R 52x 700MB". I'm also using "Quixo CD-R 52x 700MB".

3) Have yu tried burning with software other than Nero? If so, were the results any better?
No I haven't. I've been told "Instant cd+dvd" is good so I'd like to try it. What would you suggest? I would like a pretty complete one.

I was thinking about the burning speed, I'll check it but although the dvds are 8x certified and the burning speed is 12x the burner is able to read them. :tazz:

I don't know if it sound useful, anyway I've taken a glance in the device manager (start, my computer, properties hardware tab, device manager). There's a yellow "!" next to "NERO IMAGEDRIVE SCSI Controller".

Scarlet

Edited by scarletb79, 28 January 2006 - 08:18 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Scarlet, thanks for all the information.

In regards to the imagedrive scsi controller, do you have imagedrive enabled? If so, try disabling it:
programs->Nero6->Nero Imagedrive. When imagedrive utility launches, select the Disable Imagedrive option in the bottom left corner of the window.
Reboot the system & see if the imagedrive scsi controller disappears from device manager.

It seems like you're doing everything right, so I'm not certain exactly what is causing the problem. If you're not creating multisession discs, then the disc will be automatically finalised anyway, so don't worry about that.
I would suggest that you try forcing the burning speed down to 8x, instead of letting it select automatically, & see if that helps at all.

Out of interest, have you tried just burning normal data files to a blank DVD instead of video files? If the DVD reader can read these ok, then it may help to narrow down whats causing the problem.

scarletb79

scarletb79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello Samm,

thanks for your assistance.

In regards to the imagedrive scsi controller, do you have imagedrive enabled?

I guess it's disabled. :) That's what it says in the main properties' view (translated): "A driver (service) for this periferic device has been disabled. The funcionality could already be given by an alternative driver. (Code 32)
To start the Problems' resolution, choose Problems' resolution."
Then in the resources' section: "list of peripherals in conflict: no conflicts"
It also gives the option to update the drivers.

I would suggest that you try forcing the burning speed down to 8x, instead of letting it select automatically, & see if that helps at all.

Will do it tomorrow (now it's 3.22 :tazz: )

Out of interest, have you tried just burning normal data files to a blank DVD instead of video files? If the DVD reader can read these ok, then it may help to narrow down whats causing the problem.

Do you mean instead of choosing to create a dvd-video just put the files as normal data files instead of creating a video_ts folder? If that is what you mean I have never tried it.

If it were the writing speed, why then the burner can read them?

Tomorrow I'll make a further test on the dvd reader with statistics with the types of cds/dvds that it doesn't accept and all the messages that appear. I'll tell you also about the speed.

Scarlet

Edited by scarletb79, 28 January 2006 - 08:36 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Scarlet

Re. imagedrive & code 32...was this error code reported in device manager? Can you check whether imagedrive (as in the utility itself) is enabled or not please. i.e go to Start->programs->Nero6->Nero Imagedrive

When I suggested burning normal data files etc to a blank DVD, I meant non-video files, such as burning the contents of My Documents folder or a selection of Word docs, pictures etc, to DVD.

Re. the ability of the burner to read DVDs when the DVD reader can't, although this isn't normal behaviour as such, I personally have found that CD/DVD writers are often able to read discs that CD/DVD readers can't.