Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply

dinofh1

dinofh1

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Then freezes. only about 5% of the status bar loads, this is the black screen before it goes to the windows splash page and the blue bar that shows windows is starting up.

Dell optiplex 110
677, 256 on bd 356 sdram, 2000 OS Tried booting with norton, but it does not recognize my c drive just allows me to scan a or e my cd or fl;oppy. Been working with wannabe1, but I thought it was time to drag this out to the open, Wannabe, I made up those discs, but I couldnt get far enough for them to kick in eveidently?? which is strange because I can boot with the norton disc just no recognizing my hard drive.
Up until Saturday I had nothiong on that machine I cared about, so I figured I would cut my losses, and throw in the w2k disc, still wont boot.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
dinofh1...

If you haven't created any Registry backups and haven't a backup System State, there is a way that might work, especially if you can't get into Windows 2000, and if you don't want to re-install. It involves using Windows XP Pro setup floppies. I've never used this technique personally, but I know of others who've tried it with no ill-effect.

This can be done by creating a series of repair floppies for Windows 2000.

Download the Windows XP Pro Setup disks creation utility (4287KB):
HERE (You should have downloaded this one already)

Download the Windows 2000 Setup disks Registry repair addition (93KB):
HERE
(The simple instructions are on the download page).

You will need 6 blank floppy disks.

Create the 6 XP Setup floppies, but leave the last one in the drive after it has been created.
Run the downloaded Windows 2000 Registry repair addition file (this is the file you downloaded to create the Win2000 disk) to replace and add two files to this floppy that are particular to Windows 2000.

Use these 6 floppies to start Windows 2000.

As I said, I haven't run this procedure... :tazz: ...Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Norton will not recognize the disks because it does not support ntfs.

That progress bar information is VERY helpful. I wish windows xp hadn't got rid of it.

In the first part of the windows boot, the Windows kernal gets ready to accept interrupts form hardware devices, the boot video driver loads, the power manager and system time is initialized, in multiprocessor systems the added processors are started and then the progress bar moves to 5 percent.

So, what is going wrong is what happens after 5 percent (you're sure it's five percent), but before it moves to 10 percent.

This part of the boot process is a complex part of the process with all kinds of scary phrases like object types, namespace creation, symbolic DOS device links, scheduler data sctructures, system service disaptch tables, and security structures.

If it is really dying here, there is nothing we can do to fix this machine short of a system repair--it is well and truly fubarred. About the only fix here would be a screwed up security settings in the registry and the only fix would be a system state restore, if you did one.

If it is actually making it to 10 percent and failing before 15 percent, a system state restore would also possibly fix the issue, since this is when the hardware and system hives are created. Another potential fix here would be to remove all non-essential hardware, since this is when plug and play kicks in--a malfunctioning hardware device could cause a hang here.

Another possible fix could be the drive has a bad spot...did you try running chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

EIther way you should do that, and if it does not work, a system repair would be next step

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Status Bar
XXXX:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Where the X is as far as it gets when it quits

I tried putting in a different hd, but setup wouldnt recogize it, Im gonna see if I can find the HD settings on it and change it in the set up, but it wouldnt do anything even when set to auto. Im more interested in getting it to run, over saving data at this point, Im gonna bring the complete unit down here next to my computer, and try a few things and stay logged on here, that wont be till tonight at the earliest. If you think im wasting my time, and the machine is a gonner, please let me know, Thanks

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Create the 6 XP Setup floppies, but leave the last one in the drive after it has been created.
Run the downloaded Windows 2000 Registry repair addition file (this is the file you downloaded to create the Win2000 disk) to replace and add two files to this floppy that are particular to Windows 2000.

So leave disc 6 in this Good machine, download windows registry repair to disc 6, and ad 2 files that are 2000 specific, can you give me 2 examples?

wannabe1 Illl give it a shot again later, I did it wrong the first time I think
[/quote]

Saynt Cinn

Saynt Cinn

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
For Setup not recognizing the drive couple of things.... Dell has a thing that the drives should be set to cable select (CS) on the jumper pins located on the back of the drive..... if thats set boot into the BIOS F2 and in there reset defaults and clear NVRAM which are the alt + f and then alt + e then exit saving changes....

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

So leave disc 6 in this Good machine, download windows registry repair to disc 6, and ad 2 files that are 2000 specific, can you give me 2 examples?

wannabe1 Illl give it a shot again later, I did it wrong the first time I think

Wannabe, I cant add anything to disk 6, its too full, and I cant fit the xp pro download on the disk, is there a burn a cd way to do this??

Edited by dinofh1, 25 January 2006 - 07:18 PM.

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
After some screwing around I now have the "error loading operating system" Message, any tips on where to go from here?

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ya know with all the crap on these things you would think that they would add a chip on the mobo and have a reset button on the keyboard, that automaticly boots in safe, to make fixes, is this deleted by design, ZIve tried 3 hd's and this will not boot, can anyone reccomend a place in Mass, to salvage my stuff on the 3 hard drives I have, so I can plug it into the next used (disaster waiting to happen) puter I buy from some jamoke on the corner. Thanks for all the help, but I think we have reached the cliff. Sorry Im a bit ticked off right now, this thing was a great machine, word of advise, ALWAYS have a burner media is cheap!

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have it in safe mode and it looks like it spells out how far it goes in the status bar,
here is the log
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\hal.dll
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\BOOTVID.DLL
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\config\system
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\c_1252.nls
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\c_437.nls
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\l_intl.nls
multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\FONTS\vgaoem.fon

And thats where it freezes, dooes this help??? Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
no cursor, :tazz: keybaord is totaly disfunctional at this point

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know what you mean....you mean that your loading in safemode and the PC is freezing there?

Try loading with your Windows CD, entering repair using recovery console and running chkdsk from there.

sounds like your harddrive is dying

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry, what I meant was while loading in safemode, it only gets as far as the log I posted, then it just freezes, I cant boot with any of my other 3 hard drives either, I get a message saying "error loading operating system.