Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can connect to the internet but IE won't work

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I have a friend who has a computer that will connect to the internet but won't bring up web pages. He has a dial up connection (yuck!). I had him bring it up to my house and we tried it when it was hooked up to my broadband router. I changed his connection settings and same story. There is data transfer but IE won't display. Seems like it want's to but after a very long time....nothing! Also, he has Norton's. I tried using the live update server to see if it would connect. Again, nothing. The Norton window said that it could not connect to the live update server. I tried system restore...nothing. I tried repairing IE using my XP OS disk. Still...nothing. Any ideas of what could be causing it? It's not the modem and it does connect. Please help if you can. Thanks!

Advertisements

dinofh1

dinofh1

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
stupid reply, but any chance he jacked up the security setting to the max by accident?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Uninstall norton, I have seen this before and all I had to do was uninstall norton. Then he can install something like AVG which has just as good (read better) antivirus protection, but doesnt try to own your machine.

ScHwErV :tazz:

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
thanks for the replies from both. I will let him know and give it a try. I am a McAffee myself. Seems like most times virus protection software seems more like a reference than protection. It many times seems easier to control viruses by yourself than to have some software do the work for you! I'll let you know how it turns out!

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
OK, that didn't work. I uninstalled Norton's but still nothing. His security settings are normal. Any other ideas?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How do you know it's not the telephone modem, or even the line he's plugging into? If broadband works, IE isn't at fault.

Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 26 January 2006 - 12:17 AM.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I can connect to the internet with both the modem and LAN. There is a definate data transfer on both. When you open IE it gives the message at the bottom..."Web site found. Waiting for Reply..." It seems like it wants to connect but the status bar gets to about say 70-80% and then stops. It never gives any cannot connect c:\windows error like IE normally would. The screen just stays white. It doesn't get hung up or crash because I can close it without any hesitation from the computer. I was trying to figure out how to uninstall IE and then reinstall it to see what would happen then. There is no uninstall program nor is it listed in the add/remove program list. Any ideas?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I tried something new and got some info that may help decipher what is going on. I had the idea to try and install a different browser. Itried to install Netscape and at setup I got the following error..."Internet Conectivity error....timed out while looking for the internet" Any ideas why that may have happened?

dinofh1

dinofh1

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
on IE page even though you cant get in, go to tools, internet options in the middle delete cookies, and temp files, go to settings, veiw files , go to file select all, then delete. after that go to start ipconfig ping your router , or modem, see if that does it.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Nada bro! I even went to Microsofts web page and found the latest version of IE and tried to install it. It wouldn't let me. It said that a newer version was already installed. I uninstalled IE, rebooted and tried it again. It still said the same thing although there was nothing installed! Must have been in the registry. Anyway, still says website found...waiting for reply....gets to about 70% and then nothing! Any other ideas?

Advertisements

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I tried pinging again. This time the status bar went all the way across and gave message "opening page at HTTP://....." and that's where it stopped!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You cannot "uninstall" IE from Windows XP without breaking things.

http://www.theelderg...ie_and_oe_6.htm

If you don't have Norton installed and enabled on that computer, make sure the XP firewall is on, at the very least. No disrespect to ScHwErV, but Norton probably was not the problem in this case.

Johanna

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Should I just suggest a reconfigure? God I hate OEM! Custom built forever, Compaq never!

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
By the way, thanks for the info girlfriend. I am running the scan now. It is taking a very long time. Keep your fingers crossed! Looks like this may take a while!

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks Johanna for the info. The computer is connecting to the internet now. It is very slow loading pages though, especially for a broadband connection. Any ideas there?