Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't fully boot up.

• Please log in to reply

delifeath

delifeath

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an emachine laptop I am working on for someone but I can't get around this error. When I first turn it on it takes me into windows to the point where I can see his background and then stops with a series of error messages. Title of message would be something lik ---- explorer.exe or bcmwltry.exe----- they all have a message which is---This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. I realize I could just reinstall windows which is what I'm eventually going to do, however he has some files he would like to keep first. I've tried going into safe mode, same thing. I also tried using the Emergency Boot CD which I had downloaded from a web site and tried to use the file manager built into it but it has problems with the network adapter on this laptop. Any other things I should try before giving up and just reinstalling windows? I can't really get to anywhere that would let me place WININET.dll back into the directory. Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why can't you copy wininet.dll from another machine, put it on a floppy and then use EBCD to copy it? (or better, do a search on the system and take the most current wininet.dll, since it has been replaced numerous times in multiple windows updates?

Or run a windows repair? (then apply windows updates)

bmg

bmg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the exact same issue. I am hoping that I will not have to rebuild my laptop. I did not really understand what your response meant. How do I get a wininet.dll on a floppy and what exactly do I need to do in order to access the file from the floppy?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please start your own thread