Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copy emails to folder in file system in Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

niles jr

niles jr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I can drag and drop but I lose the date of the actual email, it creates files with the actual date that the file was moved. I would also like to setup a rule in Outlook to automatically copy emails from a certain sender to a folder on the file system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks...

Edited by niles jr, 25 January 2006 - 09:31 AM.

Advertisements

BillZ

BillZ

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Niles,

Does Edit - Move to Folder (from the inbox) do what you want? It preserves the date.

Have you tried creating a rule. Open the message and then goto Actions Create Rule

Hope this works for you.

All the Best

Bill Z

niles jr

niles jr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
'Edit - Move to folder' lets me move to a folder within Outlook but it won't let me move it to a folder directly on my file system. If I could get this to allow me to move the message to my file system, the rule would definitely work. This is where I am having the problem.

Thanks for the response --

BillZ

BillZ

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I misunderstood although it was clear - sorry. Can't help with that.

All the Best

Bill Z

niles jr

niles jr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks anyway...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so basically you're wanting to make a backup of your emails? y ou can either do file import and export > choose export to file > select your mailbox...and make sure to save the mail as a pst...then select a location...you can alternately do this through the "archive" feature in outlook...if you use the archive feature you can set your mailbox to archive once a month...once a week...twice a day...whatever

niles jr

niles jr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I want to save the emails as files in a folder on my file system so that other users on my network can open them up at will without having to setup the PST file on every PC.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
within outlook you can create a shared mail folder and what not...that will allow whoever you give permsision to look at the emails...the ability to do so...in outlook help search for sharing...or shared emails...or public folders