Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive will not defragment

• Please log in to reply

kdmems12

kdmems12

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've been trying to defrag by hard drive (Maxtor 6LO80L4) without success. I've recently had to remove some spyware and then reinstalled windows xp pro. The hard drive shows 30% fragmented, windows defrag won't do anything to it, any ideas? Thank you.

Advertisements

Saynt Cinn

Saynt Cinn

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
umm well when I have issues with defragging, I run a disk cleanup and a scandisk first and try again that usually works.... should be in the same menu just not sure offhand if those options are available in XP.... if not two things you can try is close all running programs and exit what you can in the system tray and try again.... or reboot and boot to safe mode which should be F8 when you turn the comp on and try it again...

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I've tried the disk cleanup and scandisk with no luck. I've also tried to defrag in safe mode. It runs through the program but the files stay fragmented.