Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can/t hear wavs on webpages

• Please log in to reply

foxymama

foxymama

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: I just bought a new laptop and when I go to websites with wavs on them, the wavs won't load or play. I canhear midis on webpages that have midis, but not wavs.. Also on pages that have the little players All that shows up is a blank white box with a little sq. in the upper left corner with a small square rectange, and circle in it.. I have all my settings set to play sounds music etc. on internet explorer. All my settings on speakers are open.. I am using windows media player 10.0, and it is set to play all files.. what am I missing?I have been on several tech sites and no one seems interested in trying to help me..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..double click on the little speaker in your taskbar..make sure that nothing is muted..and that the volumes are at a suitable level...

not sure about how to get the other portion working....gonna research a little

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
what browser are you using?

if it is IE go to tools>internet options>advanced--then scroll down to multimedia settings and make sure it is not blocking you from hearing wavs.

hope this helps

mike :tazz:

Edited by Mile Runner, 25 January 2006 - 05:05 PM.

foxymama

foxymama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: I am using IE and nothing is muted in my sounds and everything is set to play in IE.. Should I try and re-install windows media player? I am missing codecs or what

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
what sites are we talking about that you cant hear music from. are the streaming it, downloading it, playing in the backround? can you hear other noice on your computer noninternet related?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In Windows Explorer> Tools> File Types check your wav file extension association.

Johanna

foxymama

foxymama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am talking about webpages that have wavs in the background.. Midi music plays in the background, but not wavs..I guess what I mean is embedded music. Johanna when you say windows explorer? Do you mean in media player? all files are checked in there to play.. If you mean windows explorer how do I get there? to the file extensions?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Start> All Programs> Accessories> Windows Explorer
a/k/a "My computer" It's just your file tree.

Johanna

foxymama

foxymama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked my file extensions and WAV was listed.. I checked all music extensions against what I have on my desktop. and several were missing on the laptop..Do you know if I can just add them or do I have to download them.. One that was missing was music net download and music net streaming

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
can you hear WAVs that are on your computer, if you dont have any on your comp, go to search for one, i am pretty sure one is preloaded on your computer with the OS, for issues just like these. :tazz:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In the control panel, under sounds, are little wav files that make the chimes, error, close down, turn on etc. See if these work for you. You can change a sound a click to test.

Johanna

foxymama

foxymama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
wavs play on my wmp..Midis play, sounds play.. on webpages background midi's will play but not wavs.. I have a website that I put wavs in the background, http://www.tollesonsweetheart.com. I can't hear the wavs in the background when I got there.. They won't play.. Any site I go on that have wavs in the background won't play, but the pages with Midi's will play and yes I have wavs checked in my wmp.. Now I downloaded quick time player and checked it to play wavs and they will play on there in the back ground.. But the bad part about that is now all the wavs I have downloaded is associtated with quick time which I don't want.. Also like on a site like Minibites.com which has a small player on it, (wmp) all I get is a blank white box with a sq. in the upper left hand corner with a tiny sq. rect. and circle.. I know I am missing a program I just can't figure out what I need..

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
ok...one idea and one question,

first my idea: how fast is your connection, it may be an issue of being patient enough to wait for the file to load, although unlikely due to what you said above.

question: please click start>programs>set program accsess and deafalts-- could you please tell us what program is set as your default wav player?

foxymama

foxymama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have 56 dial up and I know that's not the problem.. I have the same on my desktop, and It does take a little longer at times.. But with the little music media player not showing up either, there is something else wrong.. Hasn't anyone else ever had this problem? I don't know if it's my anti virus blocking active X controls or what.. I downloaded all the codecs that I could find nothing.. I called Dell and after 2 hours of waiting on line they informed me that It was not their problem.. I agree.. It's either something I am missing in internet explorer, or windows media player, or an active control or somthing.. I am ready to scream.. All I get is check all my settings.. They are all set, I can play all cds. sounds etc. on my player. So there's nothing wrong with it.. I just can't hear wavs on webpages.. and since I create webpages, I would like to use the laptop sometimes to do it, when I am out of town.l. I am going to wireless next week..

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
and you have updated the browser and media player?