Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How many routers can connect to a single phone line

• Please log in to reply

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:wub:Is it possible to have two routers on a single telephone line. My guess is that only one router can be active on a single telephone line. I have been told that you can have more than one :tazz: Dunno

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...well...router's don't really do much with telephone lines...do you mean modems? or how many routers can you connect to a modem?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

:wub:Is it possible to have two routers on a single telephone line. My guess is that only one router can be active on a single telephone line. I have been told that you can have more than one :tazz: Dunno

Routers with built-in modems you can only have one per phone line, otherwise none of them will connect.

Routers in a stand-alone network you can have in theory as many as you want, though why is another question altogether.

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

um...well...router's don't really do much with telephone lines...do you mean modems? or how many routers can you connect to a modem?

Hi Dsenette, I have a adsl router that is connected to my telephone line. I have a pci card in my computer that talks to the router, thats how my computers gets on to the internet wirelessly. My second computer also has a pci card, enabling both computers to be on line at the same time. My question is can I configure computer 2 via the pci card to talk to a second router that I can connect to my telephone line ie both routers connected to the same telphone line, I don't think that is is possible, but I was told tha it is? What do you think?

nick i edited this just so that all of that wasn't in the quote so it would be easier to read

Edited by dsenette, 26 January 2006 - 07:51 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....like i said...routers don't connect to phone lines....now...if you're asking how many r outers you can connect to your adsl modem that's a different story..that number is...well...relatively large depending on your knowledge and what hardwaer you get...but it looks like you're asking how many adsl modem/routers can you hook up....well...the real answer to that is...however many phone lines you have (i.e. how ever many individual phone numbers you have...if you only have one phone number you can only have one modem)...my next question is....why ?

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

well....like i said...routers don't connect to phone lines....now...if you're asking how many r outers you can connect to your adsl modem that's a different story..that number is...well...relatively large depending on your knowledge and what hardwaer you get...but it looks like you're asking how many adsl modem/routers can you hook up....well...the real answer to that is...however many phone lines you have (i.e. how ever many individual phone numbers you have...if you only have one phone number you can only have one modem)...my next question is....why ?

I was told that it was possible to connect a (what I refer to as an adsl router )which has a lead comming out of the back that I connect to my single phone socket. I thought that you could only connect 1 router per exchange telephone line, the reason for the question, I have 2 routers and 2 computers in differnet parts of the house that are connected wirelessly, if I could have had 2 routers on the same telephone line it would have been better in as much as I wouldn't be so dependent on signal strength adn quailty.

edited again for readability....nick...when quoting something..make sure that the text taht you don't want quoted is after the "/quote] thing...

Edited by dsenette, 26 January 2006 - 11:48 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah there we go....and here's where the confusion has been coming from....the actual device that connects you to the adsl connection is an adsl modem....you may have an adsl modem/router which is a combination...but it is still technically two devices...it's a modem and a router all in the same box...but logically it's two devices...to my knowledge...you can only have one adsl modem per phone line...same as only one dialup modem connected per phone line, and one cable modem per cable line....i could be wrong about this...but i'm pretty sure that the way the system works...there can only be one modem attatched at one time...though it may be possible...if the ISP allows...to have two modems on the same line...but they would deffinitely require you to pay for the extra ip lease....plus...even though you would have two modems you'd still be using the same phone line...so you wouldn't be getting more bandwidth....a good option would be to run normal CAT5 or 6 cable through your house and have the systems hard wired...that way you don't have to worry about the wireless jazz

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

ah there we go....and here's where the confusion has been coming from....the actual device that connects you to the adsl connection is an adsl modem....you may have an adsl modem/router which is a combination...but it is still technically two devices...it's a modem and a router all in the same box...but logically it's two devices...to my knowledge...you can only have one adsl modem per phone line...same as only one dialup modem connected per phone line, and one cable modem per cable line....i could be wrong about this...but i'm pretty sure that the way the system works...there can only be one modem attatched at one time...though it may be possible...if the ISP allows...to have two modems on the same line...but they would deffinitely require you to pay for the extra ip lease....plus...even though you would have two modems you'd still be using the same phone line...so you wouldn't be getting more bandwidth....a good option would be to run normal CAT5 or 6 cable through your house and have the systems hard wired...that way you don't have to worry about the wireless jazz

Cheers Dsenette for your help, and advice it was much appreciated. I couldn't see how you could have two active modems on the same line at the same time either. :tazz:

Edited by dsenette, 27 January 2006 - 07:48 AM.