Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network client ICS problems

• Please log in to reply

UK Griff

UK Griff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have 3 windows 98SE PC's and 2 XP SP2 PC connected by ethernet cable to a router.

One of the XP PCs acts as a server for a shared internet connection.

I have set up the dns servers, ip addresses, default gateways etc. on the client PCs, and just after the server is loaded up, i can access the internet on the client PCs.
However, after 5-10 minutes, the client PCs can no longer browse the internet and I get the error message: Cannot find server or DNS error.
In the toolbar it still shows that the internet gateway is connected, and i am able to ping other websites on the internet. I can still file and print share with the other PCs on the network. I have also found that if I sign into MSN messenger, once I cannot browse anymore on the internet - I can continue to send and receive messages in MSN messenger!?!
In order to reconnect to the internet on the client PCs I have to restart the server - but this is not very practical to do every 5-10 minutes.

I would appreciate any help you can give. Thankyou.

Edited by UK Griff, 25 January 2006 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi UK Griff,
Does this happen on all of the computers? If not, please specify which. On the Windows XP computer (the Host computer), please do the following:
Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find a TCP/IP error, please open it by double clicking on it. Is the error message inside identical to this:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
If so, please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection.
If that particular error/warning is not present, please list any other errors/warnings located in your log.

When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

UK Griff

UK Griff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply Dan G

Firstly, yes, this problem does seem to occur on all the client computers.

I have been getting the error that you mentioned and I have downloaded the patcher that you suggested which seems to have mad no difference. I don’t know if it makes a difference – but the error you expected only came up every week or so, not every time that I tried to make the connection.

I have run EVENT VIEWER on the XP host and the XP client and these are some of the errors I got:

On the XP host I get the following warnings and errors:

Error Win32Time
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Error Win32Time
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Error IPNATHLP
The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code.

Warning Tcpip
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

On the XP client in EVENT VEIWER I get the following warnings and errors – I don’t know if they are of any help:

Warning Win32Time
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

Error Win32Time
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Warning Dnsapi
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {B5960E7E-1326-40FD-9ACE-F536FDCAE4C5}
Host Name : SIXTHLAP-004768
Primary Domain Suffix : phs.local
DNS server list :
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because either (a) the DNS server does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol, or (b) the authoritative zone for the specified DNS domain name does not accept dynamic updates.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

I don’t know whether all these errors are relevant but I have included them just in case.

Thanks for your help, UK Griff.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I have 3 windows 98SE PC's and 2 XP SP2 PC connected by ethernet cable to a router.

If you have a router, then why are you using Internet Connection Sharing?

Error IPNATHLP
The DNS proxy agent encountered an error while obtaining the local list of name-resolution servers. Some DNS or WINS servers may be inaccessible to clients on the local network. The data is the error code.

I'd aussme that this is your problem -- please check your Event Log and tell me if this error occurs regularly, and if it appears to coincide with your loss of connection. This error is a result of your Host computer being unable to adequately translate DNS and send the information to the appropriate computer(s) -- the simplest way to resolve this issue is to disable ICS -- however, this is not a solution.

The first thing you should do is make sure there is no software interfering with the Clien(s) attempts to update thier connection -- to do this, restart the HOST computer into Safe Mode with Networking, and then see if the Client computers still lose their connection every 5-10 minutes.

Secondly, are you using Static IP's, or DHCP (on all Clients/Host)? If you're using Static IP's, then please reconfigure your computers to use DHCP -- including the Host.

Finally, open the DHCP properties for the server, click DNS, click Properties, click to select the Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below check box, and then click Always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records.

Cven

Cven

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i am having problems

This is a stand alone PC with no internet access.

This started one day when i plugged my computer into 220 power. I had an autosensing power supply but it still blew. I replaced the power supply and had other problems. My PCI express slot was bad. I then moved everything over to my old motherboard and now get this.

\Device\CdRom0, has a bad block

Error Win32Time
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

The the cd-rom still works but it does error out sometimes. I have changed the cd-rom out, but the replacement too came from the computer that had power issues. I dont think the power could have done all this but thats why i am seeking help i dont know what it could be.

Thanks in advance.