Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 2 Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply

Pigs

Pigs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am new here. I'm pretty sure you guys must have answered this question a million times before but I can't seem to find an answer to it.

Now before you ask, the computer I am installing CoD2 on is able to run the game.

I am installing it on a computer that has two CD drives. It only is recognized on one however. It does not even show up as having a cd in the drive on the other one.

Whenever I click on the install button on the CD menu, I get a message saying that:

_is(a number and sometimes a letter).tmp has enountered an error.

I brought back my first copy because I figured something was wrong with the disc, but as it turns out it did it with my new copy too.

Any help would be appreciated and I apologize again for asking a question that you guys have probably answered many times by now.

Thanks again!

Pigs

Advertisements

TheMurph16

TheMurph16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm having the same problem.

It has got me cursing a blue streak at my computer! :tazz:

Any help from the more technically inclined would help a lot, thanks. :)

TheMurph16

TheMurph16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, after searching till my eyes are bleeding :)

I found on page 12 in a post by "paulmceldowney" who is having the same problem, a reply by ZEUS_GB gave instructions on how to fix. I was about to claim ZEUS_GB my salvation....unfortunately when I did the suggested fix it did not work for me. Maybe I did it wrong, but I think I did it correctly. Any other thoughts?

:tazz:

Hello paulmceldowney and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Try deleting all files in your temporary folders, try shutting down all unnecessary background tasks and try renaming the InstallShield folder.

The InstallShield folder is in c:\program files\common files folder, rename it to something like InstallShieldOld and restart the installation. The installation will install the latest version of InstallShield.

paulds

paulds

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have had many cd, dvd installation problems when installing and running new games over the years. It appears that new games push the envelope on drives and the video cards. I have solved these problems by updating the drivers for either the drive, video card or both. I have updated the video driver from the manufacturer and solved the drive error problem. Not enough of a Geek to know why.

TheMurph16

TheMurph16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the help paulds, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I just checked to make sure everything was up to date, and it was. So I'm back to square one...cursing at this blasted piece of $@%! :tazz:

TheMurph16

TheMurph16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Aha! It was ZoneAlarm. If you have ZoneAlarm it will give you that error. Unistall ZoneAlarm, and then you can install COD2. HA! Only took me the better part of 4 1/2 hours to find it online for a different game. But it worked!

Pigs

Pigs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I COULD HUG YOU RIGHT NOW! It was Zonealarm!!! THANK YOU!

TheMurph16

TheMurph16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
No problem!

:tazz:

Now get back to playing some more COD2, we both have a lot of catching up to do on playing that game!

:)

Laettner Lyle

Laettner Lyle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello guys
Ive got a problem with CoD2
Ive done installing the latest drivers.
When i click the single player icon an error message pop-ups.
This is what it says:

cannot locate the DVD-ROM
please insert the correct DVD-ROM,select ok and restart application.

please somebody help me i have 6 posts already including this with the same topic.
any help would be glady appreciated.

Thnx,Lyle

jamie363

jamie363

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have vista on a dell M1530 XPS. I can load all the disks up to disk 5. When I load disk 5 and click the Ok promt the promt just refreshes like there is no disk in the drive. After exiting the install and going to my compter the Disk drive dvd rw icon is gone. The only way I can get it back is to restart my computer. Any ideas? thanks