Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop

• Please log in to reply

tjazz

tjazz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: My laptop is making a chime noise when I turn it on. The screen is black and then it starts blinking before it gets to the sign in page. I am able to logon to it and run all programs. If anyone knows why this is happening, please e mail me at email removed for safety
Thanks to all.

Edited by dsenette, 25 January 2006 - 04:11 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this chime coming from the speakers? Plug some headphones in to a headphone jack and see if the sound can be heard without the headphones on.

Is it really a chime? There is a file called chimes.wav (i think in c:\windows) double click it.,,,is that the sound

tjazz

tjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It sounds like a chime or a doorbell. I think it may be some type of spyware b/c my laptop is running slow now. Also there is a clicking noise when the computer is booting up. If I hit any key on the keyboard the chime/doorbell noise goes away. I ran all my anti spy programs to quarantine programs that showed up. But this problem is still there.
I just hope my hard drive is not dying.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
clicking is very often a harddrive dying a horrible death.

the chime,,,that is new. I wish I could hear it....some sort of warning ? Maybe Dell has a hardware diagnostic..perhaps heat or SMART warning?

tjazz

tjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh my, I was hoping NOT to hear the bad news of my laptop dying. Is there any resolution to fix. I'm NOT really a techi. I use my computer for surfing the internet or word processing. All the other stuff, I don't bother with. What could have caused this. Do you have any idea???

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it's not your laptop dying, but your harddrive dying.

A hardrive can be replace, fairly easily, but if you are going to keep your data, you need to do it quickly. I would image the current drive to a new disk, though this might be beyond your ability.

With a laptop, you would likely need to get yourself a 2.5 inch harddisk enclosure and a disk imaging program, connect it to a desktop, image the original disk and store the image on the desktop, then restore the image to the new disk.

tjazz

tjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not computer saavey, so how do I do this.