Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Run Missing From Start Menu and ? After The Date In Corner

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why did you skip step 3?

Advertisements

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
2. At the prompt, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL.
3. If this fails, look for the registry entries that are listed below. To resolve this issue, check the registry for the following keys and values. Re-create any missing keys or values. Note that these keys use the system drive letter. You may have to adjust these entries to match the configuration of your computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
So,

start > run
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt
<enter>

yielded an error message that said:

Missing entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache

That is interesting.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, you have ie6 on this machine?

Let's download and reinstall it

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ie6.html

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes, I do have IE6. Should I run that IE repair on that site? I just do not see how the Add\Remove program problem is tied in with that.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I missed your message. start > run
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt yielded a message to repair ie, I was saying that it said to look for 2 values and I did not have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache

Should I repair IE? I don't see how the 2 are related

Note: the other 2 are greyed out and cannot be selected

Posted Image

Edited by wm_hunter, 31 January 2006 - 01:03 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, do the repair

They are related because Windows XP uses a number of critical IE files for rendering screens, for example, the add/remove control panel is really just a window in an IE interface without the tool bars

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Its a good thing I am on Windows 2000 then huh?

Still apply?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Ok gerry, we have a big problem. After running that IE repair tool it seems as though I can't log in under any account in normal windows. I am on my old windows 98 comp right now, I will try it in safe mode and get back to you. I don't know what screwed up... please :tazz: as soon as you can :)

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Update

I can log into my account in safe mode, when I try to log in through normal windows I get only my mouse cursor and the blue desktop. Trying to create a new task through task-manager crashes the computer.

This is really starting to piss me off.. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
man, what the heck is going on here....

(fwiw--yes, even win2000 uses the core ie files for rendering everything)

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ie6.html

Grab an ie6setup tool, log into windows safe mode with networking, and run it to reinstall windows.

If it will not install,

Start > Run
regedit
<enter>

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]
Exit regedit,

run the ie6setup.exe

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank god the setup file was small, the comps are not networked and my usb was stolen about a week ago so the only way I can transfer files is using a floppy disk lol..

I will get back to you, thanks for the help

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Installation went through without problems. Told me I had most updated stuff, I had it reinstall them anyway. When I logged in it setup those three items (can't remember what they were), but now we are back to the same problem (blue desktop, nothing, crash if try to create new task).

What do you suggest I do next?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Never mind, it FINALLY got to my desktop about 5 minutes later, hopefully this is just a one-time thing after IE is reinstalled.

Add\Remove programs now works, it looks like we are good to go unless there is another step.

I will see if it is that slow on system start-up again, I doubt it will be

edit

thanks again to all you guys at geekstogo... happy computer user again :tazz:

Edited by wm_hunter, 31 January 2006 - 04:55 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if it does take a while (I am not surprised it took a little longer, since it is replacing some system files---but five minutes?)--even if it does not, I would like to see a hijackthis log...just to make me feel better