Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Dell laptop is slow, programs inaccessible

• Please log in to reply

mhmh

mhmh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a lovely, shiny, new Dell Inspiron 9300 that I cannot use. Everything was fine for the first 2-3 months, but out of nowhere, microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint started lagging. After a day, none of these programs would even work in safe mode. I can no longer open the programs or access any documents.

I also noticed my computer wouldn't let me go to certain websites. It didn't make sense which ones were blocked. I couldn't access http://mail.yahoo.com for example (or any other email website.) I couldn't go to many spyware remover websites. A lot of google searches would not work, and a lot of my school websites would not work either. I had a lot of trouble trying to download or upload any files.

I could not turn my computer off (or log off my username). The computer didn't freeze; I could still move the mouse around and even open programs. It was as if the computer never processed the request. I even tried from the Windows Task Manager window (Ctrl+Alt+Delete.. under the Users tab).

Finally, the last time I attempted to turn it on, a window came up in the lower corner that said "low virutual memory." The problem is, I cannot imagine how it is possible to have low virtual memory when it's a brand new computer and I never downloaded any extra programs onto it.

It seems like every time I have run into this sort of problem in the past (spyware, adware, any type of virus /internet worm) no program ever solves the problem. Adaware, spybot, ewido, AVG, (clearly Norton Antivirus failed me) has never been 100% effective. Is it possible to dream of a real solution without having to reinstall windows? (I pray there is a way because I believe my mother threw out all my system CDs along with the laptop box when I went back to school this semester.. thanks mom.)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

mhmh

mhmh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well, i would have posted in the malware section.. but i am not entirely convinced that is the problem. i wasn't sure if it was a problem with windows xp.. which is why i posted it in this section. it's a brand new computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An inability to access spyware removal sites / online scanners is indicative of malware, hence the advice