Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need new modem?

• Please log in to reply

jjjonesee

jjjonesee

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My dad is running windows me and is having all sorts of software issues with verizon dsl. I didn't ask where he got it, but he has obtained a corperate edition windows xp. Does anyone know if he puts windows xp in his system, will he have to get a new modem to support the new system.

Thanks for any info.

-jjjonesee

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The modem will work, possibly with XP specific drivers, a firmware and driver update for the modem might help

If he moves to XP he would be better backing up the data, wiping the drive then using an OEM or retail version of XP to do a clean install

Also check the system will run XP

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If the modem and the PC both have an ethernet port, use that to connect to the PC rather than USB. USB modem-to-PC needs a driver whereas ethernet-to-PC does not, since Windows automatically detects and installs a driver for the PC network card if one is fitted. The network card can either be installed before or after the XP installation. Either way, XP will detect it and enable it automatically --- then connect your DSL modem to it. You don't actually say what type of connection exists between PC and modem (USB or ethernet), so I'm just assuming you are using USB. Ethernet is the way to go.
It was designed for network traffic, USB was not. And it's simpler -- no modem driver required.