Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Start Up

• Please log in to reply

DJLe

DJLe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Laptop starts up by showing the COMPAQ then goes to a black screen with a Blinking Dash. Then nothing happens. I had it sit like that for 5 hours and nothing happened. So how can i get into my windows 98? How do i restart this computer?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you get into bios? usually by pressing f2 or del to get into the setup options

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
will the computer start in safe mode
When the computer boots hold down the CTRl key does this give you a choice to choose safe mode if yes pick that.

DJLe

DJLe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get into anything, It Shows the COMPAQ Name then goes strait to a Black Screen with a Blinking Dash at the Upper Left. Nothing works. I can't type anything o rdo anything. I tried to get into Safe Mode and Nothing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when that compaq screen comes up press del or f2 a few times...that should get you to the bios setup screen