Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Expensive ink cartridges

• Please log in to reply

ecamner

ecamner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hope I'm in the correct forum subject. I'm enraged over the high cost of replacement ink cartridges. Unfortunately, the latest HP printer I bought doesn't use the old #45 black cartridges that were much bigger than the cartridges that go with my new printer; the 45s could be used much longer. Does anybody have some ideas where we can buy replacement ink cartridges at more reasonable prices that are of good quality? It's disgusting how we're being ripped off by the cost of cartridges. Thanks for any information you can give me. ec

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
http://www.printpals.com/card10 (for a 10% discount)
http://www.123inkjets.com/

Take a look at the profit of HP and where it comes from.

I personally like a printer which uses cheaper cartridges, as in not having the printhead in the cartridge. Before you buy a printer you should check out the price of supplies for it.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
kemasa - I appreciate what you're saying about the price of cartridges which contain a new print-head (as well as the ink) being more expensive than those which are simply ink-tanks (and therefore cheaper) because the print-head is not included (it's built permanently in to the printer). Epson printers have a built-in print-head, whereas HP fit the print-head to the cartridge. There is, however, a big advantage in having a printer which receives a new print-head with every new ink cartridge --- ink-blockages are very rare and easily remedied by fitting a new cartridge if the blockage is really stubborn. With an Epson printer, however, if the print-head blocks up and no amount of cleaning will clear it, a new cartridge will make no difference at all - you still have a blocked print-head. Happened to me last month. Even special solvent cleaning cartridges wouldn't shift it. And just when I needed it most. That sort of hassle I don't need. Stripping the printer down did not appeal. I dumped it.
I'd rather get an HP printer and pay more for a new cartridge/print head evry time than go through all that trouble again.

bilibong

bilibong

• Pip
  • 2 posts
just to let you know my girlfriend went to get some ink last night and found that a new printer was cheaper than the ink plus it came with one color,crazy huh so guess what she did,yup got a new printer.i dont know if you need a real high quality printer but if you dont this might be a good option.it was a lexmark z611.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't trust lexmark as a company....their printers aren't that great...

most cities now adays have specialized ink companies that can recycle your cartriges for you for alot cheaper prices than new cartriges...go to the phone book and see if you can find such a place

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also since HP are such a huge and popular brand most large corporations have cartridge filling and recycling services which employees can use. Lexmark printers are pretty rubbush HP make very high quality printers and the ink is high quality and fast drying lexmarks are cheaper in every sense.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I got tired of buying those cartridges, plus my Cannon bubble jet started printing 'white lines'. New cartridges wouldn't correct the problem so I threw it out and bought a laser printer from Zerox. If you only use black ink, the small laser printers are the way to go. The toner cartridges last me about 3 years.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Lexmark sell the printers cheap. Wait until you come to buy new cartridges and see what they charge you then and you'll understand how they make so much money.

You can have them refilled mind but again they only last as long as the sponge inside and when that's dried up good and proper the only solution is a new cartridge = stung again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can refill the lexmark cartridges with the ink you get in the kits you just inject it into them messy stuff though. Lasers are great things though the quality and speed is worth it if you do alot of printing. The prices arent to bad these days. If you want colour you need an inkjet, you do get colour laser printers but they arent all to common and a bit on the expensive side.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

just to let you know my girlfriend went to get some ink last night and found that a new printer was cheaper than the ink plus it came with one color,crazy huh so guess what she did,yup got a new printer.i dont know if you need a real high quality printer but if you dont this might be a good option.it was a lexmark z611.

One thing to realize with a new computer is that sometimes they don't always put a normal print cartridge in it. I forget what they call it, but it does not print as much.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I'd rather get an HP printer and pay more for a new cartridge/print head evry time than go through all that trouble again.

That is obviously your choice, but if you look at the cost difference, you could constantly buy a new printer and not have a problem, sell the old one on ebay or something.

I would rather save the money and not replace something which does not need to be replaced.

bilibong

bilibong

• Pip
  • 2 posts
actually i have an hp it lasted all of about four months with minimal amount of printing

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive had an HP printer for years usually lasts a good 3 or 4 months and we do alot of printing, i print alot of graphs for my lab reports and spreadsheets, reports etc and cartirdiges last a good 3 months which isnt bad. Mind you i dont pay for them my dad gets them refilled at his work.