Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rightclick/viewsource disabling HTML

• Please log in to reply

thetruenash

thetruenash

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i currently own a myspace but myspace doesnt allow javascripts. I want to be able to disable right clicking and/ or viewing source. Please help me w/ this. If javascripts is the only way please let me know.

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
hey there,

as far as i know jscript is the only way.... perhaps someone else knows another way

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I'm not aware of any methods to do what you want apart from using JavaScript.

You haven't indicated why you want to do this, but typically disabling right clicking is done to prevent visitors from copying your images. If this is your ultimate aim, you're out of luck - if somebody wants to take a peek at your code OR download your images, there are a number of ways that they can do this - even if you HAVE disabled right clicking.

That being said, check out this interesting article: Protecting Your Images on the Web

Read particularly the section titled Disabling Right Click Saving of your Images without Java. (yes, the author seems to interchange Java and JavaScript frequently!)
The author demonstrates a technique to fool visitors into thinking that they're downloading your images via right clicking, but they actually download a transparent gif that covers the original image. Again, this will not stop a determined attempt to grab your images or code, but it DOES display a level of creativity as workarounds go.

If I may offer an opinion, it's not worth the effort to try and protect your code and/or images - there are simply no fool-proof ways of doing this. It's a risk that every web designer takes - putting a ton of effort into creating good clean, workable code or eye-popping, creative images, only to have someone copy in a few seconds what took you days or weeks of brain-power to create! Two thoughts may put this into perspective, though: first, the chances that you'll ever know about this being done are practically nil (agreed, that absolutely does not make it right), and second, no one can take away from you the fact that YOU were the creative one who did the work.