Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems installing os on new comp

• Please log in to reply

problumchild

problumchild

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hey all,
i bought my new comp parts from a few places but i know they are all compatable,

asus a8n-sli mobo
amd 64-bit dual core 4200+
asus en7800gtx
1 gb of ram
and i got all the other crap.. dvd-ram drives, hdds etc....

anyway i put in my xp disk into my cd drive, i wanted to put a new copy of xp on the sys,
i can format and load up all the drivers and crap ( when you intially boot into the cd, on the blue screen)
but then when it comes to making a list of files to be copied for some reason it freezes, the cd drive's led stops and after a min the cd stops spinning , which tells me that something happend to the sys or the cd, but i know the cd is fine cuz i have used plenty of times, and i have used diff drives and it happens roughly arround the same time, sumtimes it gets passed, up to about 10% copyign and then it frezees.
whats strange is everytime it freezes symbols and crap start appearing on the screen and then i restart.
is it my disk or has something happend to my sys?!?!

i really need help on this! any advice would be appreciated :tazz:

thanks,

adam

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Boot and Nuke to comprehensively wipe the drive, use a long option which could take 8 hours or so, when you install XP use the default NTFS long format, not quick and check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if it is not, press the reset button, delete whatever partition it has created and it should set up on C

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

OR

The hard drive manufacturer may have a set up utility with a write zeros to drive option, use the full option, same with XP format and also check it is RAW1 on C

problumchild

problumchild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for that, but i also just came up with another reason why, im not sure if it makes a diff though,
i also just made another bootable xp cd and the same thing happend so its gotta be the sys, hopefully not a major prob though. the same icons and random crap just appeared in the bios, so im a bit concerned, i just restarted and they were gone.

i have always had intels, i have a 550w power supply, but the master power, into the mobo didn't fit the last four holes, so im not sure that when the comp needs that little extra power in can't pull it out from the mobo and it freezes and symbolsa appear, is that possible?

i did pplug in that extra 12v power into the seperate plug on the mobo, but the other main one is missing,

please help!!!

thanks, adam

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would still clear the drive

problumchild

problumchild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
so does it mean it is lacking in power? and could this be the cause for the freezes and random symbols?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
More to do with the file structure on the drive, clearing it properly will help