Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble starting windows

• Please log in to reply

nada

nada

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I turn my computer on and after doing that device check where you can press DEL to go into BIOS, a black screen appears and on the top it tells me "press a key to reboot". I reboot and it keeps showing the same message everytime. I recently added a new CD drive to that computer and do you think that's the problem? Because before I added it, everything worked fine but after, this started happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by nada, 25 January 2006 - 11:54 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you disconnect the data cable from the cdrom drive and boot OK? Check to see if you have the data cable in backwards in the cdrom drive. It also may be that your computer needs the 80 wire cables and runing with a 40 wire cable is causing this. If the computer will boot, check in device manager to see if you have a yellow question mark there. The cdrom drive may be dead from the getgo. Also try pressing F8 when booting up to try getting into safe mode to see if there is a problem in device manager.

SRX660

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It still won't load windows. I disconnected the data cable and tried. It didn't work. I can't get into safe mode. One thing's a little funny though. I have two harddrives C: and D:. It's only showing one of them as a secondary master. The primary master it says NONE when I first turn on the computer. Can it be that the harddrive is destroyed? Thanks!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like you have lost the partition or boot sector on the C drive. You might want to look at this website.

http://www.pcstats.c...eid=1139&page=8

SRX660

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
thanks but i'm not quite sure what to do after i download the file..hmm :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Could you check you havent just knocked the cable out of the back of the hard drive, best way remove the cable check there isnt any damage then firmly put it back in, then check the cable on the motherboard then check the power is in properly.

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
oh Thanks! There was one other slot on the motherboard for the harddrive and i plugged some random data cables in and one of them worked. Thanks! :tazz: