Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

The RPC server is unavailable

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ulysses009

ulysses009

• Pip
  • 5 posts
"Cannot install this Hardware, There was a problem installing this hardware Epson Stylus Photo 830U, an error occured during the installation of the device. The RPC server is unavailable". This is the message I get everytime I want to install my printer or add printer. However when I uninstalled service pack 2 the printer seems fine. This problem started to occure after I updated WIN service pack 2 and ever since I get the above error message. I've been in Administrative Tools / Services / Print Spooler to try to start it up on automatic mode but for some reason the service status keeps stopping. Could be a bug with service pack 2 upgrade. I subsequently reverted back to my initial service pack 2 without the new microsoft upgrade to little or no avail. The only way I can fix this issue is to only use service pack 1. But I find it strange that I had no problems with my printer before I upgraded to service pack 2. Now I can't even install my printer! Is there a fix or something to enable me to install my printer without the dreaded error message above? It seems highly likely that a corrupt or missing files are to blame here which are connected to service pack 2. Can anyone offer any sage advice or fix for my particular problem? Running windows XP Pro... Thanks people for all your help in advance!

ulysses009

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there. Apologies for the delay in replying to you.

I assume that if you have SP2 installed, then you alao have Windows Firewall enabled.
Make sure you have administrative rights & then go to Start->settings->control panel->Windows Firewall. Click on the exceptions tab & tick the File & print sharing checkbox. Click OK & reboot.

If you still have trouble installing the printer after this, can you check that the RPC Service is running please.

ulysses009

ulysses009

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Samm for geting back to me.

I've not been using Firewall for service pack 2 as it's more trouble than it's worth. In the end I'm happy using service pack 1 for now. System is much more stable, no firewall setup as I have so many spyware, malware and the like protecting me it's not funny. I even think my system runs a little faster without service pack 2 anyway, so I guess I'll just leave it the way it is and wait for Vista to come out.

Lets close this thread please...

take care Samm

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, no problem :tazz: