Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error i8042prt

• Please log in to reply

msbogey

msbogey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been getting constantly bombarded with BSOD with the error source listed as i8042prt and the discreption listed as "Could not set the keyboard indicator lights". I have searched MS and Google and have not found a satisfactory solution or work around. If anyone has a solution that I could try please let me know.

Thanks,
Msbogey

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
buy a usb keyboard...I know, not a satisfying answer, but the best solution.

You can try removing keyboard in device manager and rebooting, but both times I ran into this it was a failing ps2 keyboard port.

Edited by gerryf, 26 January 2006 - 12:48 AM.

msbogey

msbogey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I have one and have done it but was wondering if anyone has found a solution.
Msbogey

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Like I noted, I have removed the port from device manager and renistalled drivers, all to no avail. Could be a bent pin on the keyboard too, so you could try a second normal keyboard, but in the end, if that fails, go USB keyboard

msbogey

msbogey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I should have said it in my first message but I failed to do so; mine is a wireless keyboard and mouse. It is the Microsoft brand from Walmart.
Thanks,
Msbogey

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
perhaps we are not talking about the same error

First is that a ps2 or usb connection?

Second,

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Right click APPLICATION, click CLEAR log, do not save
Right click System, click CLEAR log, do not save

Reboot. Next time this occurs, note the time. Go back to the above and look for erros that happened at this time. Report errors

msbogey

msbogey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is a wireless connection the infra-red device has a PS/2 connection for the keyboard and the mouse connection is USB.
Thanks,
Msbogey