Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I am working my way through the Malware Removel Guide Start Here. I've downloaded Shredder and am trying to get my computer into safe mode. I press F8 continuously and get to the advanced windows options screen, however, cannot navigate it. Cannot move up or down and enter will not even take me to the highlighted start windows normally option. It seems to be freezing and there are no lights on my keyboard which I suspect is inactive. I have to turn the off button on the computer and then restart again. Help would be much appreciated. I have an IBM computer with an Intel Motherboard and Windows XPHome with SP2.

Advertisements

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
try doing it again... u have to be really quick and alert...
or it might be that ur keyboard is not plugged in properly!!!

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I must be quick enough cause I get into the Advanced Windows Option screen which gives me the option to run in safe mode. Problem is I cannot navigate in this screen. The arrows and enter do not do anything. Tried Alt-Contr-Del and nothing. So I'm getting in, can't move and can't get out.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Found a link in post for Mr Askin - a how to reboot into safe mode. Think I must have been tapping the F8 too soon which according to the link can cause keyboard problems. Anyway, I have successfully put the computer into safe mode and will continue. Thank you :tazz:

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
that normally happens only when the KEYBOARD BUFFER becomes full... if u tap the key too many times u might hear a beep sound indicating full buffer!!!
:tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a usb, wireless, or ps/2 keyboard?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
The keyboard is connected to a USB port.

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
but is ur problem still persisiting?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you try using a ps/2 keyboard instead?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thanks for your help guys (n gals!). Have been busy doing other stuff and had to do a bit of sleeping too. Yes, the problem is still there. Not so much of a problem for me cause I can still put it into safe mode. Tried again three times and can get the Advanced Options Screen, but can't navigate or select anything. Also got another screen asking me which operating system I wished to use (with only windows listed) and when I pressed enter nothing happened and couldn't get out. There are two bleeps happening in pretty quick succession. I've been waiting for the first then gently pressing F8 a couple of times. In Device Mgr under Human Interface Devices there are three USB HIDs and two are identical for IBM USB Keyboard and the third for USB Mouse (if all this means anything?). Dsenette, I'd love to try using a ps/2 keyboard instead if I had any idea what that is or how to do it! Cheers.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an F-Mode key you can press

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
try this out and let me know.. i presume that u must have got the hang of pressing the F8 key by now, he he he.....
  • reboot ur computer and keep a constant watch on the 3 lights on the top right corner of ur keyboard {u know, NUM LOCK - CAPS LOCK - SCROLL LOCK}
  • just at the moment u see them blink, start tapping ur F8 key every 2 - 3 secs
  • by doing this u can be sure that ur keyboard buffer is not gonna get full
  • if this does not work try to check the spot where u connect ur USB plug on ur Computer Chassis
try it out and let me know

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
OK, Keith : Assume you mean F1, F2, etc. Yes, got em all the way to F12!
Solipsist: Did that and once again got to the Advanced Options Page and no lights and couldn't navigate. Checked out the connection to the computer and it seems OK - took it out, blew on it, and placed it back (you know, real technical stuf, LOL).
I await ....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There could be a seperate key called F-Lock / F-Mode located above F1 etc, it switches between standard and enhanced keys

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Can't find that one Keith. I do however, have a number of coloured different kind of keys at the top which I can assign to do things and as well for EMail, Internet, Access IBM Web and Standby. Didn't ever get a how to or info on how to use the keyboard properly and haven't ever tried to use it to its capability. If you need it I could take a photo of it and attach it to a post???

Edited by supernewbie, 28 January 2006 - 12:20 AM.