Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can post the make and model

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
IBM SK-8809

I looked up IBM site and couldn't get any info.

Thanks. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can post a pic, I could not get anything from IBM or lenovo

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey supernewbie...
what is it that u wanna do on ur comp? {i'm getting a bit confused u see.... :tazz:}
and what was the last application u were working on?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a ps/2 keyboard is the old style keyboard before wirless and usb keyboards...sometimes the usb ports don't work during parts of startup..if you can get your hadns on a regular keyboard...that might work

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Got another keyboard with a ps2 interface? You need to drop into BIOS to enable legacy usb devices...

If not

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose SETTINGS button in the STARTUP AND RECOVERY section, press EDIT

Copy and paste the results here.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Don't have another keyboard handy. Here is the edit info:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Yesterday I sent two photos of my keyboard in a post and it hasn't appeared. All came up OK in the preview panel and I sent it off and haven't seen it since?

Can probably get hold of another keyboard in a couple of hours if necessary.

Cheers and thanks :tazz:

Solipsist

Solipsist

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hmmmmmm.... ur BOOT.INI file seems to be perfect...
good u'll be able to use a PS/2 keyboard...
try some steps out and let me know!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition safemode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
by replacing your existing text with the above text, you will automatically boot into safe mode--even without your keyboard.

They keyboard would allow you to move back and forth between safe mode and normal mode.

When you are done, delete the line:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition safemode" /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

AND ONLY THAT LINE

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Seem to be having a bit of trouble here. Posted many, many hours ago and it hasn't appeared. Also keep getting logged out when I switch screens.

Anyway, I'll repeat and hope the other message doesn't suddenly appear!!

This all seems to be getting somewhat off track for me. As mentioned in Post #4, I did in fact get into safe mode - Start, run, "msconfig", Boot-ini tab and checked the safe mode then rebooted. After I'd finished cleaning I went back into above and took the check tick off and rebooted again.

Do I understand it correctly that my keyboard (or the fact that it is in a USB port) has something to do with the fact that I cannot F8 into safe mode? If there is potentially something more serious then I would like to continue with this topic, however, if not, then I'm really not that concerned as I am able to get into safe mode. Although, as I think of it, if I have a future problem where I cannot do the above to get into safe mode then I guess I would need to resolve this.

Your thoughts, please?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
my guess is that it's the keyboard....you either need to test with a ps/2 keyboard...or do like gerry said and try to enable legacy usb support in the bios...

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
dsenette, thank you for your response. I'll try out a ps/2 tomorrow (oh, darn, that's today it's 1:00 am!) and let you know what happens.

Cheers :tazz:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
:tazz: :) :)
Yes, it was t*e keyboard! (I stopped using t*is one (PS/2) because t*e "aic*" doesn't work on it.) T*e PS/2 got me straig*t to w*ere I needed to go by F8ing. T*ank you. I'll just keep it *andy incase I need to go into Safe again and cant access it t*roug* run-msconfig-bootini.

Funny ting is da udder keyboard came wif da computer. (Geez its difficult writing using no aic*'s!!! :) :) ) I did notice in Event Log da following warning:

"Da following boot-start or system start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt" and dis is one of da drivers for da keyboard! Wen I booted on da PS/2 keyboard dis warning was not dere.

Better swap em back cause dis is driving me crazier!

Megga tank you. Would it be a good idea to update da drivers for da USB keyboard?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Just realised this driver - i8o42prt - is not listed for the HID keyboard. It is, however, one of the drivers for the PS/2. Should I just delete the PS/2 from the list of keyboards?

Thank you.