Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

whats this shdocapi.dll

• Please log in to reply

timbr

timbr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys,
Well this morning when I started IE it goes strait to the page:
res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocapi.dll/shdocapi.htm#security_dll

I have found the file shdocapi.dll in system32 dir – it shows that is created today!?

I have done everything as found on malware forum and everything is clear!!! So what is this?

tim

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I do not know..not a microsoft file.

Are you certain that your clean? Did you have one of our malware people check you out after following the instructions?

timbr

timbr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yap,
i done everything as on malware forum (all clear!!!) and always when i start IE page goes to:
res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocapi.dll/shdocapi.htm#security_dll
despite i have through tools setup some other page!?

i have faund shdocapi.dll but i cannot locate shdocapi.htm#security_dll

something is prity much dodgy and i dont like it!!!

any sugestions?

tx

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why is it, if you've done everything, I cannot find a log on the malware forum, which is clearly the last step in the instructions?

Please, do EVERYTHING in the instructions, follow them closely. We are EXTREMELY busy, and always shorthanded. We are all volunteers and we put those instructions there for a reason. When people skip some because they are in a hurry to get help, it causes unfortunate consequences for everyone.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you post a hijackthis log and a malware expert clears you, return to this thread and I will be more than happy to help

timbr

timbr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi gerry,

well i will not waste any more of your time with this

i have done everything as sugested in malware forum and everything was OK - but than as u said "that its not windows file" i have just move it from system32 dir and now its fine.

i dont know what it was, but i have the copy the file (if maybe i need it) so...

however, maybe this is some new crap that can be found on the net.

regards

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i would have at least right clicked on it and checked properties.

It may be new crap that auto tools do not find. It is unwise to proceed carelessly like that. The malware folks see thousands of things a week and will know before the autotools what's happening out there.

It is highly unlikely that simplly removing the one file has removed the malware.