Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lightning protection

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Is there i can do to protect my pc in case there is lightnings outside? And is it really serious and worth it?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is serious..and it is worth it...the best method of protecting your computer from lightning is to turn it off and unplug everything from the wall...all power cables, phone lines, network connections....and just not use the machine during an electrical storm....if that's not doable (such as..if you're on vacation)...having a good surge protector (i use triplite) is the most logical home option.....you could also get a UPS (uninteruptable power supply i use APC)...that will not only protect you from lightning..but it will also keep the computer on long enough for you to properly shut it down during a power outage

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Yup...unplugging is the way to go. If it's a really bad storm, I'll throw the main breaker to the house. Besides a ups, the next best item is a inductor based surge protector. I bought a couple from Brickwall. I got em on sale for $120 each. Today they are something like $170 each. Pricey but it's the last surge protector you will ever have to buy. When I bought them, they were the only products on the market that could meet military standards.....

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
ok thnx for advice but i have a question

how does lightning affect ur pc?? can u explain or give me a link

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

ok thnx for advice but i have a question

how does lightning affect ur pc?? can u explain or give me a link

Basically if you have a power surge, excessive power will go into everything you have that is plugged into the wall outlet. This is never good. This can probably fry every component or simply break it..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, the PSU in the pc is basically a little power trasformer and on cheapo ones especially any fluctuation in the supply results in some large effects on the power delivered to the system usually enough to break it. A surge protecting multi plug adapter is just basic kit for any PC or electronics, a UPS is a good idea in the states, as you guys get alot of lightning i saw more lightning in one storm in the US than i ever have in my whole life in scotland(to far north for lightning really). For most if you have a modern electrical system in your home the breaker will catch it before it does damage but if you have older electrics then a bit more protection is always a good idea.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Lightning can flash by power lines a few miles from your home. It doesn't have to hit the lines. All it has to do is pass fairly close to a power line. It will induce a voltage charge in that line and it will seek out the path of least resistance. If my main breaker is open, this represents a lot of resistance and the charge should continue down the line.....

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I live in Canada and we get lightnings on rainy days in summer. So i am thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.apc.com/r...?base_sku=PH8T3
for $22

http://pccyber.ca/sc...uct_types_id=25
$23

http://pccyber.ca/sc...uct_types_id=25
$11

any suggestions??

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Lightning can flash by power lines a few miles from your home. It doesn't have to hit the lines. All it has to do is pass fairly close to a power line. It will induce a voltage charge in that line and it will seek out the path of least resistance. If my main breaker is open, this represents a lot of resistance and the charge should continue down the line.....

I have two of the ones in the second link. I never had a surge so I wouldn't know if it would do it's job. So far, though, it has been great.