Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2Wire [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

kbennington

kbennington

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 2 Dell Inspiron 5100's. I'm using a 2Wire modem as well as 2Wire cards in each. I had problems with one where I would drop my internet connection for no reason. The service was intermittent after that, nothing reliable and I need reliable. Over the last 2 months, I've talked to more tech support peeps at SBC than I can count. I have a new card, a new modem, and I still have the problems. There is nothing interfering with my connection, i.e. cordless phones, etc., and they've dismissed it as an issue within my laptop. Out of frustration, I have that laptop plugged into the modem with an ethernet cable and my connection with that is fine. About a week ago, I began experiencing the same exact problems with my other laptop. After 3 hours with tech support yesterday, they're telling me it's some kind of problem with my PCMCIA adapter. When I tried to pin him down on what kind of problem exactly, he couldn't tell me. He thought possibly I needed an updated driver although when he searched it, he couldn't find any updates. I've had this service with SBC since last July and everything was fine until December. I've made no changes to either laptop and haven't changed anything inside my home that would interfere with my connection. I'm at a total loss and desperately rely on a wireless connection for at least one of them. I understand that things can go wrong internally, but 2 laptops with exactly the same apparent internal problem within a month of each other just tugs on the laws of probability too much for my liking. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi kbennington,

First of all, goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer(s) and then see if you still get disconnected.

Secondly, please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR --> press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Could you please go into a little more detail in regards to the connection not being reliable?

When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Finally, I would highly recommend that you try all of the steps here, to ensure that your laptops are not infected.

kbennington

kbennington

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I ran all the programs you suggested. When I went into event viewer, there are more errors and warnings than I could possibly post here. The warnings were mostly server warnings, here are a few examples:

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0C9502C9-38C5-443D-B9E9-E7DCC905ACC8}. (this was in there at least 15 times)

The redirector was unable to register the domain HOME on to transport NetBT_Tcpip_{0C9502C9-38C5-443D-B9E9-E7DC for the following reason: . Transport has been taken offline.

The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\TIGGER on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{0C9502C9-38C5-443D-B9E9-E7DCC905ACC8}. The data is the error code.

Your computer was unable to automatically configure the IP parameters for the Network Card with the network address 0060B3A7C5FF. The following error occurred during configuration: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0060B3A7C5FF. The following error occurred:
An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

There were also quite a few of these:
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

Many, many errors on it from today. Here are a few:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
OMCI
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
SAVRT
SAVRTPEL
SYMTDI
Tcpip

The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBT service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I have the log file from Hijackthis, I wasn't sure where to post it. All this stuff is on my main laptop, the one I now have connected with an ethernet cable. I haven't tried the card yet, I thought you should see some of these results before I disappoint myself again by it not working.

The unreliable part of my previous post refers to a connection that doesn't stay connected. It will catch me in the middle of something and drop itself with no warning. When it connects again, it's intermittent. I can be connected for 2 hours with no problems or it will drop again within a minute. Let me know what you think of this mess.

Thank you.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
From your Error log, it seems that your connection with your router is becoming stale. In regards to the Errors, could you please try and keep an eye on the time you lose connection, and the time the errors appear -- so the next time your connection drops, check the time, and then look in your System Log for an error that co-incides with that time. This is simply so that we can identify which error is the relevant one -- like you said, you seem to have alot :tazz:

Alot of your errors seem to be DHCP related -- for this reason, I'd suggest setting up a Static IP.

Goto Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK -->type IPCONFIG /ALL --> copy down the following details:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
(2) DNS Servers

Now goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once --> Press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in the two DNS Servers that you wrote down earlier --> Press OK.

You should do this on both computers, and then restart them both, and see if you still lose the connection. If you still do, then retun your settings to Obtain an IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server address automatically.

-Dan