Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio volume lowers until reboot--SOLVED

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Here is my issue: The volume of any audio on my computer will lower itself, no matter how high I have the volume settings in "Volume Control" or how high I have my volume physically on my speakers. Moving the volume settings in "Volume Control" will still raise and lower my volume, but I can't get it as loud as before the problem starts. Once I reboot, the volume returns to it's normal level.

I'm assuming the volume problem is caused by starting some program or something on my computer, but I don't know how to figure out which one, without starting all my programs one by one.

Is there any program out there or perhaps something already on my computer that I can use to figure out what is causing the problem.

thanks,
mike.

Edited by diggeryo, 08 June 2006 - 09:05 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing occurs right away...have you tried

download latest drivers

uninstall device

load new drivers

reboot

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I had the latest Microsoft driver installed. which is the same driver I've had installed since building the computer (about a year ago), but this problem only started within the last couple of weeks.

but i took your advice and installed the latest driver from the manufacturer. i will post if the problem continues.

thank you.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
After months of having to deal with this, I think I finally fingured out what was causing the problem and, for those experiencing the same thing, how to solve it.

My speakers would get lower any time I used my phone modem, because the dialing and ringing would come through the speakers and lower the volume.

To get around this, I went into "Phone and Modems" in Control Panel, clicked "properties" for my device, and turned off the "Speaker Volume." However, I didn't like not hearing the tone when dialing. So I just kept changing the setting of the "Speaker Volume" until it was at a level which kept the system volume the same when dialing out.

Hope this helps someone else with the same problem...

mike.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, thanks for sharing...sorry I lost track of you (don't think I would have got that one, but will keep it in my back pocket for next one)