Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No IP address

• Please log in to reply

Hogroll

Hogroll

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Not really sure what is going on with this system I'm working on. For starters, it is a Compaq s6300nx. It has an integrated NIC. I have done a complete rebuild, and installed WinXP SP2 from scratch. Looking in the network properties, I see 2 interfaces... the integrated NIC, and a 1394 Net Adaptor (for firewire). I am interfacing from a cable modem to the NIC, however, I can't seem to get an IP. I have even put a known good 3Com NIC as well, disabled the other 2 adapters, and still nothing. I have it set up for DHCP, and DNS is set to Automatic. I know the cable modem is working, as I can put my laptop on it, and get out fine.

I have the appropriate drivers loaded, and the properties tell me everything is working. The firewall is not enabled at the moment.

What am I missing?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Hogroll,

Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

What happens when you go to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.