Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading my comp

• Please log in to reply

machdown

machdown

• Pip
  • 3 posts
have a celeron 2.4 478 socket geforce fx5200 AGP 512 mb 184pinn and am looking to upgrade. i have 500usd to spend. what im thinking is to get a new mother board which has a pci express slot and new processor and of course a pci video card. also in terms of video cards is it better to go with one that has 128meg but is pro or extreme so to say or one with 256meg but is not pro or extreme. and what thats the difference betweeen the companies like sapphire asnd asus and whatever else there is

Advertisements

machdown

machdown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ntw, this is a strictly gaming machine

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well pro and extreme mean very little its whatever the card, usually 256Mb of memory is better, make sure you get something that is GDDR3 memory not DDR2 or 1. I would say an x800GT or a 6800GS. Youll want a AMD system for gaming so youll want a 3200+ venice on an nf4 board and a gig of ram, but im not sure youll be able to get it all for 500 maybe youll have to look around.

machdown

machdown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i got a good question for you now in connection to video cards... listen up...im looking at only a 256bit ddr3 ram card... ive already got 512 ram on my comp... is it better to get a 256meg card and no ram or a 128meg card and then use the difference to upgrade to a full gig of ram

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You want a 128meg card you really need a 256 as thats what the games are designed to run best with these days, And it costs much less for another 512mb of ram than it does a new 256Mb gfx card.