Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing WinXP on a external USB disk

• Please log in to reply

paulojam

paulojam

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi people !

Can anyone tell me how to install a clean installation of Windows XP on a USB external disk (IOMEGA) ??

Someone with experience of doing it, please ...

:tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Don't put the cart before the horse

Does your computer support booting from USB? If not, you will never get it to work

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP will not install on an external drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmm, a challenge....so says some other things i've read, but I wonder how completely true that is...

The very nature of Windows XP requires that certain files be located on an internal drive, but why should windows care beyond that. For example, when you dual boot windows 98 and xp on a two disk machine, you must have windows 98 on the first drive, and windows writes a new mbr and boot sector to that drive, as well as a couple small files used for booting, but 99percent of windows can be loaded on the second drive...why should windows care if you loaded that to a usb drive?

Now, that's not exactly practical...you could not carry your drive around with you and hook it to another machine, but simply loading to an external...why not?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm with gerry on this one...in theory (only theory cuz i don't have equipment to test...) xp should be loadable from any purely bootable media that has the neccessary storage space and transfer capabilities...now..i would assume that flash media (usb pen drives) would cause some issues..

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

i'm with gerry on this one...in theory (only theory cuz i don't have equipment to test...) xp should be loadable from any purely bootable media that has the neccessary storage space and transfer capabilities...now..i would assume that flash media (usb pen drives) would cause some issues..

I don't agree because you know XP ties itself tightly to the motherboard it first installs on and panics on any other board it comes across on that installation. Therefore to install it to an external hard drive and then inadvertedly plug it somewhere else or even on a different USB port could just confuse everything.

Anyway USB support outside of Windows has never been any good; DOS has never officially supported it and there's about six different drivers for each different type of chipset, none of which are guaranteed to work.

Now having said that, if you install XP with a card reader plugged into a USB standoff, it will tell you that its found the extra drive letters that these devices assign. So it may still be possible in some respects BUT IMO the amount of general fiddling around to get XP on an external drive renders the entire process pointless.

Not impossible; install to an internal, then stick said drive in a caddy and see what happens. You have XP on an external then but does it like it? Probably not.

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well guys, in the mean time I installed Windows XP on the external drive, because inside the beautifull silver case, there is only a normal IDE disk ... So I opened the case, connected the disk through one IDE channel and installed the XP. One problem solved ...

Now, my BIOS support USB booting, but I think XP don't ... It seems that the PC only is capable of using USB ports AFTER Windows XP starts ...

My first aim, is to be able to install programs on my notebook without having to use de Windows installed on it ... How can I do this ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
neil...i will agree with you on some of those points..mainly the fact thta installing xp on an external drive would be useless...and cause more problems that it's worth....IF it did work to install xp on a usb drive..and if you were capable of booting to it....you'd only be able to do it on one hardware platform....so it would defeat the purpose...but...the possibility still remains that it MAY be possible...just not feasable