Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial up and a Firewall

• Please log in to reply

rainmaker

rainmaker

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I am about to install Windows XP on my in-laws computer. As they live outside the city they only have dial up access. Their computer is three years old, but does very well for their needs. I bring this up becuase it is not the fastest machine out there and if I do not have to add programs to the start-up I don't want to. Where am going with this is... because it is dial-up would you still recommend a firewall (say...ZoneAlarm)? In other words do those who propogate unwanted intrusion attempts turn away from the slow, intermitment connection? I will still run an anti-virus, and all the usual anti-spyware stuff as they do ocassionally download the thing. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
Yes in my opinion, no matter what the connection its always good to have a firewall for your first line of defense against spyware. However only one is needed. If they have XP just enable the one that comes with it. If not yes i would say install a firewall such as zonealarm.
thanx,
James

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I totaly agree with james, i also love to see that there are still people that use dialup, it appears that only the realy cool kids (myself, kat, and you) kids have dialup. Just to reiderate, i totaly agree with james, you should sitll have some form of protection on the computer no matter how slow the connetion, you shouldnt be as paranoid though as if you had lets say a LAN connection.