Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Miffed - can it be a hijacker?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tulsa

tulsa

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
On occaision, for no apparent reason, my computer comes on and boots up. Completely out of nowhere! I had shut it down completely. I've noticed it 3 or 4 times. When I notice it, I shut it off again or unplug it.
In discussion with others regarding these strange occurances, I've been told that someone isd accessing my machine remotely. I find that to be strange because I am on a dial up connection.
Any thoughts on this?

regards,
tulsa

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geektogo
oddest thing that i have ever heard in my life, another one would be a computer talking when its in hibernation mode. (happend to me)
However from what you are saying here i would strong advize you go to the malware forum and post a hijack this log here. http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html
however before doing so go to the following site to find out how to do so and what to do before posting.
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
thanx,
James

edit: I'm finding this very hard to believe though since, i have never heard of anyone taking controle of a computer when it down. I'm saying this because you have to turn a computer on by force (push the button) and to my knowledge there is no way of turning a computer on from another computer.

Edited by james_8970, 27 January 2006 - 06:50 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

edit: I'm finding this very hard to believe though since, i have never heard of anyone taking controle of a computer when it down. I'm saying this because you have to turn a computer on by force (push the button) and to my knowledge there is no way of turning a computer on from another computer.

:tazz: Just because you haven't heard of it, does not mean it can't happen. Why don't you follow along in this users' Malware Thread You will see that OwNt has identified several dialers on this persons pc, and that one or more of them are the culprit.

If you do not know the answer to someone's question, don't post. Leave it to Staff members instead. Posting just to pad your post count gets you nowhere here, as we are concerned with quality, not quantity.

As this issue IS malware related and the user is being helped, I am closing this thread now.