Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

driver stupidity

• Please log in to reply

SunnyS

SunnyS

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, all.
I have a HP Pavilion 753n, with a P4, and whatnot, and I made a serious error.
I hope the answer to the error isn't reformatting the whole dang drive.

First off, I had system Restore off, because it was popping up an error (It had backed up a virus and AVG was picking it up every time it scanned). I forgot to turn it back on.

I downloaded an update to the HP multimedia keyboard and glossed over the instructions, stupidly disregarding the fact that it said quite clearly, "Don't use if you've updated your OS" (Which I took to mean a different OS instead of a simple reformat...).
I got almost everything to work, but I don't know which driver is making the system super slow. Safe mode works fine. The sound works fine. I think it might be the video driver, but using the one listed on the HP page hasn't helped. I'm not able to use my computer out of Safe mode.
Will I be able to fix this, or should I just bag the thing and reformat?
Thanks,
SS

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Welcome SunnyS <_<!

Good news, "Driver Rollback" :D (exclusivly on Windows XP).

1. Right-click on My Computer

2. Go to "Properties"

3. Click the "Hardware" tab at the top

4. Then choose "Device Manager" in the middle

5. Click the plus sign next to "Keyboards"

6. Right-click on the new line under "Keyboards" (it'll say something about a keyboard)

7. Then choose "Properties"

8. Click the "Driver" tab at the top

9. Then simply choose "Roll Back Driver"

10. Resart and then download the XP driver for the HP multimedia keyboard below:

http://h20000.www2.h...us&swEnvOID=228

If this doesn't work in normal mode, try it again in safe mode by tapping the F8 button on the first boot screen.

This should sort out the driver difficulties If not, please post back. Or if it does work, please post back letting us know :D!

SunnyS

SunnyS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think it messed with my mobo drivers or something, because it had a thing in the device manager with the SMBUS driver that had a question mark. So, I thought I had gotten the right driver for that, but apparently, that messed with my "chipset driver" or whatever... so I don't know which thing is causing a problem, cuz they all say they work fine.
It loads fine in normal mode, with the right sounds and everything. A few seconds after it loads, while the little balloon in the corner says "your display settings are really low and we can fix that" it stops working. It will work, but it takes 5 minutes for a dialogue box to show up.
SS