Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somewhat of a conundrum

• Please log in to reply

GuyWithComputerProblems

GuyWithComputerProblems

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, here's what happened. My computer is a six-year old Emachines computer, but I've never had hardware problems until now. Anyway, I left it on when I went to class, but turned off the monitor, speakers, etc. in order to conserve electricity. When I got back eight hours later, I went and turned the monitor back on, but the screen remained black. I tried rebooting it, but nothing worked. The monitor and everything works fine, it's definitely with the computer itself.

The one yellow light that indicates activity remains lit constantly, but the Power light doesn't come on ever. Similarly, my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives won't open. However, I can see and hear the fan running. I opened up the computer for a quick look, but didn't see or smell anything obviously wrong. I have not noticed anything wrong with my computer, although I have been leaving it on overnight every night for about a week. However, it is not custom-built and I have never experienced heat problems.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? How do I fix it?

What information would you like? Let's give the basic specs for now...
AMD Athlon. 1.67 GhZ
Radeon 9800 Pro
512 MB RAM
Avance Onboard Sound
Purchased in 2000

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
im not much of a pro but look at your motherboard if it has overheated if it has you will notice that the caps on the transistors will be raised look around the cpu if they are raised you could have fried your motherboard or some internal components due to overheating or it could ahve been caused by a power surge and it has gone through your system and fried everything

the reason why your fans might be running is because they are connected straight to the psu so they will run

maybe take it to a computer shop just so they can have a look and do sum testing

GuyWithComputerProblems

GuyWithComputerProblems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That does seem plausible. Thanks for caring... I'll have it checked it.