Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

tomf

tomf

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Dell Dimension XPS T500
64 mb RAM
14 gb HDD
Windows 98 SE
IE
OE
AVG free
ZoneAlarm
Spybot and AdAware

This PC was donated to a non-profit organization where I volunteer to be distributed to someone in need. The donor must have done a format of C: because it was empty but fontunately they provided the Win98 CD and I was able to get the OS reinstalled. Initially had problems with the modem but by deleting in device manager and readding it through the control panel that was corrected. I decided to make sure the speakers worked ok but they would not work. Did a download of Windows Media Player but when I try to use it no audio device is found. In the device manager I see:
? Other Devices
! PCI Multimedia Audio Device

Properties show a device manage error code 28

I have removed this device in device manager then did an add new hardware in control panel and it rediscovers it but cannot find a driver for it. There was no standalone CD provided for just this device so I was using the Win 98 CD and actually specifying the path: D:\drivers\audio\"xxx" where the "xxx" were the various driver folders with no success.

Anyone have any ideas on correcting this problem. I am sure that if the proper driver is found and loaded the speakers will work. The speakers are Harman/Kardon HK 195. I did a bunch of checking and there are no drivers for the speakers themselves.

Tom

Advertisements

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
PCI multimedia audio device is what Windows calls an audio device (aka sound card) in the device manager when it cannot find the drivers for it. In other words, Windows doesn't have the drivers and you are going to have find them and install them.

Go to the MS Windows update and see if they can be installed from there.

http://www.microsoft...ads/default.asp

Elaine

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
During my many attempts, I also selected to find the driver on the WEB which pointed to MS but still no sucess.

Tom

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Tom try this lnk and see if they can help you http://www.perfectdrivers.com/ they also have a support forum

Elaine

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Elaine,

I will try it, thanks.

Tom

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You should have no problems finding those drivers on the Dell website. I've found drivers for machines much older than that one.

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
After a lot of research I found out that the sound card was a Yamaha and is integrated into the motherboard. I did go to Dell and downloaded what they had for Yamaha but part way through the driver install It wanted the missing CD or diskette to complete the install. I was able to locate everything that I needed at drivermagic.com and got everything working.

Thanks,

Tom

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had forgotton about drivermagic.com Tom

but it great to hear you are up and running

Elaine