Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Root Tool Kit / Trojan Backdoor...2 name a few!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
If i attempt to restart computor it will freeze up. It may require dozens of attempts before i get lucky and am able to restart.

Did Ad-Aware scan, found 527 files that needed quarantine, did it. However, if i then do an immediate re-scan, will see perhaps another 20-30 files...every time.

Norton scan alerts to: Root Tool Kit and sometimes Trojan Backdoor but cant do anything about them.

Computor runs VERY slow but fan temps are normal and dont cycle too often.

Ad-Aware does not seem to recognize Root or Trojan issues.

Thank you in advance...

P.S., not computor literate, patience helps out big time!

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Beyond the fact that there a lot of applications that you should be running to do other checks, are you running the Adaware scan in Safe mode?

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi babytech-

No, i've never done anything in safe mode. In fact, i've only been into safe mode when given the option to do so after having to shut down system via power button after it does it's "freeze-up" thing.

Not sure how to get into safe mode otherwise.

Thanks,

MS

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
When you reboot your system, press F8 every 3 seconds until a menu for booting comes up, select safe mode, then run your scan once you boot into safe mode

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Great!

I'll do that now and let you know what becomes of it.

Thank you, thank you!

MS

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Monsterdog: If you suspect malware/viruses/badware,

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

MonsterDog

MonsterDog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Coachswife AND Babytech...

Here's where i'm at:

After running the Ad-Aware scan in safe mode ( 198 infected files) yesterday, it has taken me THIS long to get my computor to re-start. Over 100 attempts i'm sure.

Since i have XP Professional i should NOT run the scan that Coachswife recommended....right?

* I know i have ROOT/Tool Kit and Trojan Backdoor based on Norton scans. The Ad-Aware scan handled the Zango, Alexa and Tracker stuff it found.

This issue about not wanting to re-start after sutting down is getting intolerable...really, i'm at my wits end!

I posted a Hijack This log a week or so back for one of your staff who was helping me out, should i re-do a log for you?

I'm hurtin here.....

MS

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
On this post:

http://www.geekstogo...=0

wannabe1 told you to go to the malware forum and post a hijack this log. That was on 1/16. You just posted it today. Your main problem is that you have multiple threads going with different people helping you. That is hurting your ability to get things fixed.

Wait until someone helps you in the malware forum. If you don't receive a reply in three days, Please look in the comments section and post in the three-day and no reply section.

Good luck.
I am closing this thread.

You also need to update Windows to at least SP1A. Look at the note I left for you at the bottom of your log.

Edited by coachwife6, 27 January 2006 - 01:52 PM.