Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad MotherBoard

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I have a AMD AThlon 64 3000+ processor on a ASUS K8V deluxe motherboard. I have had this machine for over 2 years now - and i put it together myself. Everything was going fine so far, except for the last month or so.

When i start up the machine, the MOther board screen shows up, and it stays there for a long time. THe boot takes a real long time, but the machine performance is not compromised in anyway. All applications open real fast everything works great. Just that the boot sequence takes a few minutes longer. I have 512 MB ram in there and plan to throw in another gig. Is this happening cos the mother board is too old and is on its way out??

Hope you guys can help me out.

Oh and BTW this is a dual boot system, with the other (preferred) OS being Ubuntu Linux.

Cheers :tazz:

Advertisements

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
When is the last time you did a fresh install of Win XP? I doubt your MB is playing games with you. If it has been more than a year without a fresh install of Windows, then you'll see a great boost from doing one.

On the other hand, how many programs do you have in your start up (run msconfig and click on start up tab). Too many will slow you down.

Also, try turning off your mobo startup screen in the bios so you can see where the startup hangs (at the memory, IDE detection, windows startup?)

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
A fresh install of XP was done about 9 months ago. Th only program that runs on start-up is McAfee anti-virus suite.

I will turn of the mobo startup screen and see what gives

Thanks!

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Auto Detecting Secondary Slave...

thats where the computer decides it wants to stop for a while, have a break and then start again.

I dunno what could be wrong.

Cheers

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
What is your Secondary slave?

2 things.

Step 1 - First one is really easy, but might work. Try going into the bios on startup and asking it to find your IDE devices (sometimes called "autodetect HDD devices" or something like that). If you don't have that, go into Standard CMOS Setup and it should list all your devices.

Are your devices being properly listed?

Now, save the settings in the bios and restart. Did this help?

Step 2 - Second, unplug the secondary slave from the ide cable and the power cable. Follow step 1 then restart, does this work?

It sounds like you could have issue with this device. If it is a HD, you should run scandisk and defragmentation as a start.