Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not start up!

• Please log in to reply

nada

nada

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I start my computer and after the black screen where you can press del to go into BIOS, a black screen appears saying "Press a key to Reboot." It happens everytime I reboot and reset my computer. Any ideas? Thank you!

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
is there anything else written? things like unmountable drive, no boot sector, non-system disk

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
no just "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT"

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
sounds to me like your boot records are corrupted

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
so does that mean i have to get a new harddrive?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Gotta saymore than that....nonsystem disk, press any key to reboot?

Check to make sure there isno floppy disk in the floppy drive

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
nope no floppy and that's the only thing there. press a key to reboot. might the connector be jammed?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what can you tell us about the computer? Model/Make

The only thing that makes sense is a failing RAID controller or RAID config if that is the ONLY Message you are getting.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a minute...that's not the only thing...do you have a windows xp disk so we can get into recovery console...I think Babytech is on to something...you could be getting that if your partition boot sector is hosed (not the master boot sector.

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
it's my really old computer. It's an Intel, Asus P3B-F motherboard. i have a windows xp cd but when i put it in, the computer won't give me an option to boot from it. It just coughs up that screen.

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
you would need to change your boot order in your bios to read from cd first.

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
but my computer won't detect any harddrives or cd drives. when i start my computer, next to the primary master it says NONE and next to secondary master, there is a harddrive i don't use. my cd drive won't be detected and i can't change the boot order in my BIOS.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
First of all, what do you mean you can't change the boot order? even if no drives are detected, you should be able to change it.

As far as your system not detecting any physical drives, have you changed any of the physical connections? if not your problem is gonna be a lot bigger then what we started with.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
physical cable might have slipped out of the slot

nada

nada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
well it won't detect any physical drives. i think something slipped out too but everything looks fine. can i just try plugging random data cables into this one empty data cable slot on my motherboard? there's two but one's already plugged in so i'm not sure if i just start plugging random things in. Thanks!