Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I just recently installed some survallance cameras for my company what I'm trying to do now is set it up so that I can actually access and watch them from another location. I was told I could use VPN client, but I'm really not to familiar with that. I was wondering if you could shed some light on it for me or maybe point me in another direcetion. I also have one other question I have a PC that already has a network card in it and the port is being used connecting to a server, if I was to install another network card and wanted to connect DSL to the new network card would I still be able to use the other one as well or can you only use one at a time? I would realy appreciate the advice thanks so much.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello wadeb,

I just recently installed some survallance cameras for my company what I'm trying to do now is set it up so that I can actually access and watch them from another location. I was told I could use VPN client, but I'm really not to familiar with that. I was wondering if you could shed some light on it for me or maybe point me in another direcetion.

I'm curious as to why you wish to access and watch them from another location? I would assume that your company would intend for the surveillance to be monitored from the designated location. However, to answer your question, yes you could use VPN for this purpose, however it would be vital that you ensured that you had top-notch security and encryption in place, otherwise unauthorized individuals might be able to gain access to it.

I also have one other question I have a PC that already has a network card in it and the port is being used connecting to a server, if I was to install another network card and wanted to connect DSL to the new network card would I still be able to use the other one as well or can you only use one at a time? I would realy appreciate the advice thanks so much.

Provided that there is a slot within your tower for two NIC's, then yes you can definitely do this. Alternately, you could also use a hub, switch or router.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Hello wadeb,
I'm curious as to why you wish to access and watch them from another location? I would assume that your company would intend for the surveillance to be monitored from the designated location. However, to answer your question, yes you could use VPN for this purpose, however it would be vital that you ensured that you had top-notch security and encryption in place, otherwise unauthorized individuals might be able to gain access to it.
Provided that there is a slot within your tower for two NIC's, then yes you can definitely do this. Alternately, you could also use a hub, switch or router.

The reason being why I need to access them is that I am actually most of the time at another location and vary seldomly do I go to the location where the cameras are at. I am really dumb founded when it comes to the VPN client, as far as purchasing it and setting it up can you kinda give me a walk through on what I would need to do on both ends, what I mean is what I need to do on the end where video feed is being saved and at the location where I want to be able to access it? I would really appreciate it. Also thanks for the answer on the network card question.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Here are some good articles on VPN, which should hopefully shed some light on requirements etc
1. The basics of VPN
2. How to setup a VPN Server
3. How to connect to a VPN (Windows XP)
Once you've read those, you should have more of a basic understanding of VPN's -- if you still don't know the answers to your questions, then please just re-ask them and I will try to provide you with a more detailed/relevant explanation.