Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linux swap partition

• Please log in to reply

agrarianmonk

agrarianmonk

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
Do i need to make a separate partition for my linux swap partition if i already have one for windows?

if so, if i have windows delete pagefile upon shutdown, could i use the same partition for linux? (hopefully this isn't a stupid question)

thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The pagefile in Windoze is not a separate partition. You can actually get away without having a swap partition, but I personally would not suggest it.

So the answer is you should have a swap partition and you don't have one for windoze.

agrarianmonk

agrarianmonk

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
i kno windows doesn't come standard w/ a pagefile on a separate partition, but i put it on a separate partition to boost performance.

so i was wondering since i have set it this way, can i simply use the same swap partition for linux.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Unless it is a raw data partition without a filesystem, then you can not use it. You could wipe out the other partition and use it, but the partition type is different than one with a filesystem.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i dont think its possible.

if you had a partition for the windows pagefile.sys to be stored on, it wouldhave to be ntfs. linux wants its own file system for the swap, and cant read the windows one, and windows cant read the linux one. the best situation ive heard of is when you use a ram drive (expansion card that can hold ram sticks on it and act as a hard drive that can just get dumped at restart) you could put one of those in, and put your windows swap on there, and you linux swap, but those are costly (like $150) plus the cost of ram. its cheaper to get a bigger hard drive if you need to save space.