Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POWER

• Please log in to reply

AGC1953

AGC1953

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a hp pavilion desk top when i got up one morning my computer was freezing up i rebooted it wouldn't so i had to shut power down . turned power back on and now power auto shuts off after 1 or 2 minutes then it won't stay on let it set for a while then it does same thing

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi AGC1953! Welcome to G2G!

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? If so, does the same thing happen?

Fenor

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Could it have to do with overheating ? Freezes and then shutsdown after 1 or 2 min. You powersupply fan ... is it on ? Can you feel air coming through the vent ?

I had a similar problem on a HP. The fan in the powersupply died out, so in about 1 min or 2 the computer would shutdown.

*just my lil 2 cent ... i could be wrong*

AGC1953

AGC1953

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you but we have already tried replacing fan didn't work same thing and it doesn't give us time to boot in safe no mater what i do it give me going to sleep and then power off

AGC1953

AGC1953

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
please if anyone can help me with this problem i need it. i have tried everything even the things we have in our repair book. h.p. wants $45.00 just to tell me ideas that may or may not work, repair shop wants $75.00 just to look at it and then $75.00 an hour to repair, it doesnt even give me time to go to bios or setups please help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you just hit f1, f2, del (whatever it is) to enter setup/bios

does the behavior repeat?

(While looking at the setup screen, will it shut down?)