Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on Windows Log On Screen!

• Please log in to reply

pismojoe

pismojoe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm ashamed to say that I caused this problem by trying to remove the log on screen. I first set the computer to switch from the welcome screen to classic log on, then went to control panel -Users and set it back to welcome after many attempts to get rid of the log on. Now when my XP SP2 laptop starts up I see the classic log on (which disappears instantly) then the welcome screen appears over the top of it.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into safe mode?

pismojoe

pismojoe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You for your safemode suggestion. I already tried this by pressing the F8 key repeatedly and this allowed the classic logon to appear on top of the welcome screen.

I then selected system restore and restored to yesterday. That did it. Thanks again. Pismojoe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you could get it back to normal