Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem running a game in Win 95

• Please log in to reply

RichterBelmont

RichterBelmont

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I'm getting a Sound ToolKit Error when I try to run a game in Win 95. It says:

dws_NOTSUPPORTED: dws_DetectHardWare During Initdialog

Any advice on how to fix this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What game is it?

RichterBelmont

RichterBelmont

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's a really cheesy game I got from a clearance sale-- Catfight. It's that terrible kind of game you pick up to see how laughably bad it is!

I tried to run it on a Win XP computer as well, to no avail... given how old it is (min reqs are a 486 processor!) I am more optimistic about it running in Win 95! ^_^

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The game may be one of those that was designed to run from a pure DOS prompt as opposed to a DOS prompt inside Windows.

Best thing to do is change the properties of the shortcut to tell Windows to shut itself down when that program is run and see what happens. The fun then comes in getting sound, mouse, CD etc working under DOS.